Thread: Thoughts on Alexa classic..

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Thoughts on Alexa classic.. 
    I have a scarlet w now..
    really tempted to buy an alexa classicm as they are soooo cheap now, and still have an amazing image..

however they are pretty dated and 1080 while good for internet, just might not cut it for future proof content..

I am also looking at maybe dropping coin on an amira, but fearful that maybe the rental market isnt there.. thoughts?
    Zakaree Sandberg
    Zakaree@Gmail.com
    Cinematographer / Local 600 DIT
    RED MX
    Red Epic
    Red Scarlet W

2. #2 Alexa classic worth it 
    The Alexa Classic can record 2.8k Arriraw to an Odyssey 7q+. For 10 thousand dollars, it has the best image compared to any other 10k camera.

Is still a great camera, depends on what your clients expect. For us 4k is one of the most asked questions, when yes we talk on and mostly deliver in 1080p. I expect 2018 to be more of an 4k delivery year because most clients have UHD TV's at home now and we often show them UHD 4:4:4 demo footage on our OLED TV and all love it.

I'd probably go Amira for the versatility/ergonomics and presumably longer term market relevance. An Alexa Classic for $10K is tempting, and in the near term it might rent pretty well, but, IMHO, that won't last. I expect Alexa variants newer than the Classic will fill that "I want an Alexa but don't have $800/day for rental" slot.

I think the ideal buyer for the Alexa Classic is a production house that will use it on all their shoots vs a rental income play. YMMV.

Cheers - #19

Zakaree,

What are your clients expectations? I imagine many would be happy with the 1080P and if you can get the Odyssey 7q+ to work with the camera reliably then 2.8K Raw is not shabby but over time everything is moving towards 4K and up. While the Classic produces first class imagery you won't be shooting top line TVC or TV Drama with it.
    The Alexa Classic is also a beast and its not a lot of fun lugging it around all day. Its weight also means you may need to check out if your tripod/head combo is up to the task. As I understand its also only a PL mount camera? Finally these cameras have been around a long time and while build quality is excellent if its done 8 years in a rental fleet it has worked very hard. Rumour would have it that Arri is close to release of their new sensor so these cameras may get even cheaper very soon.
    Tom Gleeson

Alexa classics (not even XTs) seem to rent better than Epic-Dragons up here and may even do better than Epic-Ws/Weapons6ks (anecdotal... take it with a grain a of salt.) I'd definitely think really hard if choosing between a shootable Alexa classic pkg for ~$8-9k over an Epic-Dragon for $10-12k if rentals/kit-fee is your main goal. Minis can't seem to stay on the shelf, and I thought it was the same for Amiras (which is basically a mini with XLRs and more shoulder-friendly ergonomics), but I could be completely wrong on the Amira front (given that their used asking prices are still ~25k+, it doesn't seem worth the risk).

Similarly, the XT upgrade is like $12k-14k ($16k CAD) which seems kinda steep (being that the XT is 3.2k internal, whereas a Classic gets 3kHD raw [2880x1620] via an inexpensive outboard recorder and is roughly half the price of the upgrade for the entire classic camera/evf/kit). That said, an XT would probably rent more than a classic, so it *might* be worth it if rentals is your goal.

I dunno... If I had the cash burning a hole in my pocket and wanted to play, I'd get a classic and see how that goes (with or without an external 3kHD raw recorder) and then considering going to an XT or mini (or *new* Alexa2, if Tom is right). End of the day, if the market actually has evaporated and you wanna bail out, even if you could only sell it for half of what you bought it for 6-8mths from now, they're inexpensive enough that you aren't really eating your shirt in the worst case scenario (e.g buy for $8-9k now, sell for $4-5k in the fall?)

I think the Alexa Classic is an excellent option. 2k Prores4444 is still a mainstay recording option, and will continue to be for a good while yet it seems. The image it produces is still just as excellent as the SXTs, and since so many productions simply aren't willing to pay for the harddrive space required to shoot raw or 4k, I think it's a great option.

You need a serious tripod to support it, and plenty of batteries. But it's still a workhorse, and totally viable (even for high-end production) in 2017.

I'd just try and make sure you get one with the highspeed option for 120fps.

As Tom says, add an Odyssey7Q and you have uncompressed 2.8k 12-bit Arriraw (along with full 3D LUT capabilities) for a very reasonable price.

If you buy a classic make sure it has the ArriRaw license, and ideally the high speed license.

Honestly, I would advise you to find a 4:3 model too if you can.

Personal opinion : unless you have rental clients knocking down the door for an Amira - don't even mess with it. The mini is a better investment than the Amira (even if it was twice the price - which it isn't) . The Classic will rent out less often than a Mini, but I bet very similar rental pace/rate to an Amira. Classic with licenses will give you MORE feature set than an Amira (except for built in ND).

One thing to be careful of with a highly used Alexa Classic is if the boards fail, the cost to replace them is very expensive (happened to someone I know).

Some of them have MANY THOUSANDS of hours on them.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

I bought a Classic with high speed package with less than 2500 hours for a really good price with lots of accessories. I also have a Gemini with 2TB of Media from way back that still works great with the camera to capture ArriRaw. Honestly, I love it. The image is beautiful even when upressed to UHD which I do all the time and no-one can tell the difference. Bought both Sigma Art Series PL zooms with it and haven’t looked back. Obviously, only issue is the weight for handheld and frankly I don’t use it for jobs I need to run and gun but for the majority of my work the Classic is perfect. I also got aightly used Pix 240i to record high quality sound and to record long record times on interviews etc and it works great. Highly recommend one with low hours and well cared for if you can get one.