Thread: Is there a simple wireless or jammable timecode module?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dragging this one up again.

I've used tentacles before, or rather my sound recordist has - boxes all over the shop and it was very successful.

But leading on from the OPs question - are we saying that if you jam a single tentacle to the F4 and then connect it to the camera we're all good to go for the day? Or are we needing two tentacles feeding to the camera and the F4?

So can i get away with a single tentacle? (or ultrastudio)

cheers
    Paul

I went Tentacle and haven't looked back. Constant sync is superior to jam sync, eliminates risk of drift. The phone app is brilliant, and no need for a Wave which would drive the price up with Ultrasync, though I'm sure those are also excellent devices.

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    Dragging this one up again.

I've used tentacles before, or rather my sound recordist has - boxes all over the shop and it was very successful.

But leading on from the OPs question - are we saying that if you jam a single tentacle to the F4 and then connect it to the camera we're all good to go for the day? Or are we needing two tentacles feeding to the camera and the F4?

So can i get away with a single tentacle? (or ultrastudio)

cheers
    Paul
    Ideally, you want a box on every single piece of equipment that is running TC. Otherwise, what’s the point?

Just had a wake-up call yesterday and it looks like my Sound Devices 664 needs to go into service. We had a two-cam interview shoot (single subject/single mic) and fed both cameras from the mixer and the mixer was just an OMG/everything blew-up back-up. Pulled out two Tentacle E’s and sync’d them, jammed the mixer to one and then put the boxes on the cams. Didn’t bother pulling out a third, because the mixer was a back-up, back-up and the internal TC clock in Ambient(pretty damn reliable). At the end of the roughly 30 min interview, the mixer had drifted at least 3 seconds! Ran a test at home later and it drifted ~12 seconds in a little under two hours!!!

Anyway, my point, if everything had had a box on it, there would have been no TC discrepancy between the mixer and cameras*.

*There shouldn’t have been any issues anyway, obviously something is wrong with the mixers internal clock, but the TS would have prevented the drift.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    Ideally, you want a box on every single piece of equipment that is running TC. Otherwise, what’s the point?
    Yes, that makes sense.

Rarely do we get to quantify the quality of timekeeping in all these devices. In some ways you'd prefer that a device doesn't have TC built in if it's not any good.

So there's a video with a guy testing the F4 and Sound Devices with a tentacle - jam them and leave them running (in fact he records the output of the tentacle) and then see drift after 8 hours - both the F4 and SD stayed on the same frame and both within milliseconds.

So the TCO in the F4 is good.

Your story sounds like something is actually wrong with the mixer, right?

I have no idea about whether anyone has done that with the Epic W, to see if that really is unusable after a days shooting (or less!) but the camera is more likely to drift.

Hence a very quick solution would be to Jam off the F4 and then drive the camera with a single tentacle. But yeah, i can see the point of multiples here.

cheers
    Paul