Thread: Internal ND Turret for DSMC2 - KipperTie Revolva

Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627
    Quick update, in case anyone else is curious...
    I just checked out a set of Super Speeds and they won't work on Revolva--like, not even close. Looks like some of the lenses in the K35 set will work and some won't. The backs of the Angenieux lenses look pretty flat so they're good to go (can't vouch for every lens they make).

I love this line from the Kippertie site (in regards to lenses with rear projections longer than 21mm): "Note that lenses of this type tend often to be less than ideal on digital systems due to the acute angle of light striking the sensor."
    Super Speeds are less than ideal on digital sensors?! Let's talk about this, Kippertie.
    andymaser.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Maser View Post
    Super Speeds are less than ideal on digital sensors?! Let's talk about this, Kippertie.
    Not John, nor Kippertie. But he is referring to the lack of telecentricity. Generally speaking, digital "ideally" plays better with telecentric lenses angle of incident of light entering the photosite wells.

That said, from a creative perspective, use whatever the hell produces the image you are happiest with for your project.

Also to note, the limitation on lenses longer than 21mm is more of space limitation. John's already packing a whole punch of stuff behind the lens to make the Revolva work. It's just not compatible with everything out there. But where and when it does play nice, it's an alarmingly useful tool.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Yeah I have the EF Revolva and it's life changing. Seems like the PL version isn't for those who use vintage lenses. Sad day!
    andymaser.com

I’ve a shoot coming up with k35s and was going to use the Revolva, is it not comparable then?
    Cinematographer, London
    Scarlet-W

www.joshbirchfilms.com
    Reel: https://vimeo.com/290364493

Just adding my 5c after receiving my EF Revolva Kit. Installed on a CF 6K Weapon.

First impressions, really great! Colour shift extremely minimal throughout all the density's, less than some sets of Schnieder IRND's i have had from rental kits.
    Speed of changing cartridges is pretty good too although you do need to be careful as it can be slightly hard to hold on to once its all the way out.
    Flare so far is pretty good, a slight change in the gate flate but too be expected.
    It uses the exact same control board as the Red EF mount so obviously preforms identically.
    Rolling through the filters does take a couple turns to change each density but you get used to it

I have the Wooden Camera Easy Top (the one with lots of I/O connectors). I had a local machinist shave 5mm off the front face and then add a bevel again (took 45minutes of his time). It fits perfectly now and even managed to save the front row of threads.
    Attached Images

Thanks for sharing that pic. I have the same Wooden Camera top so it’s good to see it can work with a modification!
    David Callahan
    Resolute Visuals
    www.resolutevisuals.tv

Kippertie now offers a cartridge for internal diffusion options in addition to their neutral density filters, similar effects to what they have offered for OLPF replacement. The cartridge has carbon, gold, pearl, and clear diffusion options. I just ordered a couple, think they will be great for indoors/studio/night and they work with all OLPF's. They are at the level 1 (lower) amount of diffusion and cost $500 apiece.
    DSMC2 Helium 1402
    DSMC2 Helium 6423

Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    Does this work with the Monstro + Otus lenses or not?
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package
    Monstro, Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    davidjbuchanan.com | wecofilms.com

From experience Monstro and Otus with Revolva should be just fine.
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Monstro 8K VV | Gemini 5K | Helium Monochrome 8K
    Check out our Revolva ND solution, OLPFs and other products