Thread: Internal ND Turret for DSMC2 - KipperTie Revolva

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Very cool. Is there a way to remotely control it somehow, for when it's in a gimbal on a helicopter?

Senior Member Marcus Friedlander's Avatar
    As I said on Facebook I think this an absolutely brilliant product! But I do think the suggestion about adding a .8 gear to the wheel is a great addition! I think that'll become an essential feature to allow it to match the functionality of the Alexa mini internal ND system.

Also, if we are making a wishlist for future updates to the product, it would be really great if there was a way to feed metadata into the camera so we know which filter is currently in front of the sensor. (Again, matching the functionality of the Alexa mini.) Maybe it would be possible to feed it though the lens data protocols? Or if not, then maybe RED can implant something into the DSMC3 body that gives you that functionality?

Either way, super excited for this product! Thanks and congrats!

P.S. I totally get the branding and color work on it, but like Bjorn said, I would also prefer a completely black one rather than a logo'ed one with the orange wheel. In my opinion, the less on the camera that can distract the actor, the better. Because, if it's the logo being a word that makes them mess up their line reading, or maybe even seeing a glint of orange out of the corner of their eye throws off their performance, I can guarantee you that if they complain to the director or the producer, that Revolva is coming off my camera faster than I can say, "but internal ND's..."

Food for a thought. Would hate to see a great product be blamed for something so trivial..... but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. People can be weird like that.
    Cheers,

Marcus Ian Friedlander

RED EPIC DRAGON #03179 "Squillium the Dragon"

"Perfection is the goal, excellence is the standard."

IMHO the colour on the Revolva is no big issue as it will be mainly hidden by the lens and matte box. Could I request a small compact case for the spare filter cartridge? Dust and dirt will be the enemy when putting objects behind the lens.
    Tom Gleeson

Really impressive John well done! Can't wait to try it!

Cheers
    Adam
    Adam Palmer | Video Content Producer
    Ice Cream Byte - Epsom, Surrey, UK
    www.icecreambyte.com

Looks amazing! But still hope that DSMC3 will have internal ND's :)
    KAREL ŠIMŮNEK
    RED SCARLET-W #996 "Phoenix"

Very interesting!! Nice job!
    Does anyone know if the Angenieux optimo DP zooms will work?
    Thanks
    Antoine
    Antoine Marteau
    France
    Epic-W

Beautiful product!
    Modest Epic - W Kit + Pro Primes
    -GG
    ggcinema.com

Senior Member Marcus Friedlander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gleeson View Post
    IMHO the colour on the Revolva is no big issue as it will be mainly hidden by the lens and matte box. Could I request a small compact case for the spare filter cartridge? Dust and dirt will be the enemy when putting objects behind the lens.
    Generally speaking I think you are correct. But having a product like a revolva makes me want to pull off the matte box and use a tiny pancake lens, so I can grab shots that used to be impossible.

It seems like one of the big selling points is that I can use this product to make my camera smaller. However, by making the camera smaller, I introduce the potential of distraction to my actors.

Seems like such a minor thing I know, and I know it seems like I'm making a big deal about it, but I can already hear the complaints and would love to preemptively prevent them.

We shoot a lot of little shiny things, hate to have the camera covered with gaffer tape just because manufacturers keep putting big logos on the cameras. Reflections of the "red pro" monitor logo in the eye glasses of your actor is just one thing. Makes me look at that screen as "not so pro at all" Same with the red badge in front of the camera, but yes they got the stealth version, but I can not for the life of me understand why camera equipment would be any other color than black if it´s not fro reflect heat fro the sun or camouflage or such.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    We shoot a lot of little shiny things, hate to have the camera covered with gaffer tape just because manufacturers keep putting big logos on the cameras. Reflections of the "red pro" monitor logo in the eye glasses of your actor is just one thing. Makes me look at that screen as "not so pro at all" Same with the red badge in front of the camera, but yes they got the stealth version, but I can not for the life of me understand why camera equipment would be any other color than black if it´s not fro reflect heat fro the sun or camouflage or such.
    One word for you - BRANDING ;-)
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment