Thread: Longer Optical Thunderbolt 3 cables?

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Got a quote from Global Distribution recently for some 50m Thunderbolt 3 cables - think they are available now...

REDuser Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sefton View Post
    Got a quote from Global Distribution recently for some 50m Thunderbolt 3 cables - think they are available now...
    What brand and model #? I haven't seen any indication throughout the Intel Thunderbolt developer community that longer cables have been certified yet. I would use caution if someone is trying to sell you longer than 2M Thunderbolt 3 cables.
    Tim Gerhard
    MagStor LTO Systems
    614-433-0011 x114
    www.magstor.com
    tgerhard@magnext.com

I don't know the brand, but Global Distribution are the reseller in the UK for G-Tech and Symply amongst others and they informed me of the availability and its demo use at IBC 2019. They are quoting us on some new RAID systems with the longer Thunderbolt 3 cables for multi-edit suite attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    It's even funnier that the forced tech currently does a whole 2m of distance.
    Sounds like thought through.
    Do you know of another cable that does 40Gb/s over 2m?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    Do you know of another cable that does 40Gb/s over 2m?
    InfiniBand and Ethernet cables go up to 200Gb/s https://www.mellanox.com/page/produc...ctx_6_vpi_card

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    InfiniBand and Ethernet cables go up to 200Gb/s https://www.mellanox.com/page/produc...ctx_6_vpi_card
    Sorry I guess I should have clarified, is there another cable that does 40Gb/s without the need for a server rack and multi-fiber cables that consumer devices can use. There is technically 400Gb ethernet happening as well (which is multiple fiber strands) but I do wonder what limit is enough for the pro video market.

Will be really interesting to see what the corning thunderbolt 3 cables cost.