Thread: Longer Optical Thunderbolt 3 cables?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Have not seen any update or good soultion.
    We simply centeralized all our computers and then we run 8m hdmi2.0 cables and usb3, both with amplifiers to our 4k screens that got a one in 4 out usb hub.

That all works well except for the osx / hackintoch machines that can not run 60hz over those hdmi connections. So for those we also have display port to hdmi2 dongles which actually trick osx to do 60hz 4k to hdmi2.

But I dont see any long rb3 cables any tine soon. Hope 40GBe network will be comming big at reasonable prices soon.

As the whole deal with apple trying to stuff computers into screens is a bit anoying when having multiple machines with centeralized storage. Not really so that everyone can sit 2 meters away from the machineroom.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

2. #12 TB, or not TB 
    A couple of years back I was seeing 100 meter optical TB cables at NAB, etc and hearing about network protocols compatible with TB infrastructure. In the back of my mind I started thinking about what a great solution that could be in a year or two. Then we got TB3 chipsets, and a shared plug standard with USB-C, and Intel was still talking about networking... What is the current real world status? None of the facilities I deal with have it yet.

IAC, without robust optical fiber interconnects at semi-reasonable prices the number of facilities that abandon 10gE for TB2/3 based solutions will hit some headwinds. Without a certain market size, the cost of nurturing a new network infrastructure through its early adaptation process could be a tough ROI - particularly in the short term, which can be crucial at public companies despite the obvious long term potential.

OTOH, optical fiber TB3 cables up to 100 meters that are both reliable and affordable could dramatically increase the number of sites for which Thunderbolt networking would be a smart upgrade. Tipping point and all that...

Cheers - #19

I keep dreaming of the day I can easily put my tower and drive bays into another room and just run one long Thunderbolt cable to my monitor with USB hub attached.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Zabczynski View Post
    I keep dreaming of the day I can easily put my tower and drive bays into another room and just run one long Thunderbolt cable to my monitor with USB hub attached.
    That is possible, just not over Thunderbolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    That is possible, just not over Thunderbolt.
    Yeah I know you can run USB extenders and long HDMI/Displayport, but I've found USB solutions over 15ft tend to crap out over time.
    There are ways, but none are as simple nor elegant as one 50-100ft TB3 cable would be.

Jarek Zabczynski

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

Yeah I know you can run USB extenders and long HDMI/Displayport, but I've found USB solutions over 15ft tend to crap out over time.
    There are ways, but none are as simple nor elegant as one 50-100ft TB3 cable would be.
    This looks elegant and simple enough for me https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Gigabit_Ethernet

We use the (redundant) 40 G over fibre for our backup server (250 meters in a different building on the same compound).

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    This looks elegant and simple enough for me https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Gigabit_Ethernet

We use the (redundant) 40 G over fibre for our backup server (250 meters in a different building on the same compound).
    Simple if you have the cash to make that happen. Also Fibre is only good for connecting to your storage or other systems. Not so much for getting rid of the system in the room entirely.

Jarek Zabczynski

Simple if you have the cash to make that happen. Also Fibre is only good for connecting to your storage or other systems. Not so much for getting rid of the system in the room entirely.
    2x 10 G (link aggregation) over copper upto 100 meter is also pretty fast and not that expensive.

As Misha notes, there are lots of alternatives to Thunderbolt networking. In my world, being able to plug laptops and storage into TB3 without NICs or any sysadmin input is valuable. YMMV.

Cheers - #19

Many options for the TB3 users https://www.startech.com/Networking-...bolt+3+-+USB-C and this one is pretty fast https://www.startech.com/Networking-...bolt+3+-+USB-C just connect it to a NAS and your Apple.