Thread: Longer Optical Thunderbolt 3 cables?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Longer Optical Thunderbolt 3 cables? 
    So anyone know what the holdup on these has been? Longest Thunderbolt 3 cable now is what, 2 meters?

Just curious.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

seems right now 2m is the longest. Corning is supposed to have longer optical ones but I don't see anything on their website.
    Chad Lancaster
    ICON Motion Pictures

Now Filming "The Southwest"
    www.thesouthwestfilm.com
    www.fb.com/thesouthwestfilm
    Instagram: https://goo.gl/6cElQF
    Twitter: http://goo.gl/kFBU3B

Epic Dragon #1107 Sold
    Helium Weapon hopefully soon

"The Southwest" is sponsored by Kessler Crane, Bright Tangerine, CW-Sonderoptic/Leica, AKiTiO, Rigid Industries, Miller Tripods, Rode Microphones, Maxtrax, BBS Lighting, Camprite

Corning and Tsumitomo have announced... Nothing for sale yet. They might be waiting for licensing to open up on the encoder/decoder unit production so they can use suppliers other than Intel, or make themselves. That happens early next year.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Weaponized Dragon for hire. 8K available... "soon"

As the long tb 2 cables for corning and the others did not really ever work reliably I can only imagen TB3 cables being exactly that much more difficult.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo

REDuser Sponsor
    The manufacturer we use for TB3 cables only have up to 2M for TB3 cables.
    Tim Gerhard
    MagStor LTO Systems
    614-433-0011 x114
    www.magstor.com
    tgerhard@magnext.com

Are the current copper cables any good? Some are longer but only claim 20gb/sec...

For example..

https://www.startech.com/Cables/thun...able~TBLT3MM2M

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    As the long tb 2 cables for corning and the others did not really ever work reliably I can only imagen TB3 cables being exactly that much more difficult.
    And there’s that too. I have a few of the 35’ Corning optical TB2 cables that no longer work and their warranty was always a joke. Took weeks of screwing with them over the phone to get one cable replaced only to receive a white box (refurbished?) one that was DOA. I’d say of the ones I’ve owned, failure rate was around 40%. B&H would swap them at first, but they knew the warranty was a lie and probably couldn’t get replacement product themselves, so they quit taking returns and exchanges on the Corning cables (even if it was DOA).

I don’t necessarily blame Corning on the quality of the cables. It was the encoders that would fail 90% of the time and Intel was the sole manufacturer/ supplier.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Weaponized Dragon for hire. 8K available... "soon"

We've set up a semi-workaround, 2m Cablematters 40GB/s (Amazon) cable daisy chained through docks. Expensive, but not as expensive as those old Corning opticals.

Side note – I guess we've had better luck. So far all 3 of our optical TB2 cables are still running fine several years in. Cross your fingers I didn't just jinx us ;)

An announcement at CES is likely, to go with the new royalty-free status. That is the only big "center stage" show where Intel will be doing it's usual dog and pony (and donkey) show for Thunderbolt and Corning, Sumitomo, and other TB licensees will also be present, to showcase their current (or upcoming) offerings in display cases and booths. After that, we'll probably see actual working product demos at NAB and IBC, which are the go-to showcases for available/upcoming products.