Thread: Monstro DXL

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post
    Which is a long way to say ... 18% grey is now at IRE 41%-42% in Rec. 709.

Where EVERYONE (not just Alexa shooters) expect it to be :)
    I was wondering if it was state of the art to use Rec709 41ire to evaluate Iso acuracy of a raw device?

I think red can put the REC709 41ire grey chart where ever they want following a compromise between dynamic range, over and under grey exposure and acceptable noise for that iso value.

I would try to meter for a specific picture look of that imaging device (texture/color response/high and low light repartition).

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    I was wondering if it was state of the art to use Rec709 41ire to evaluate Iso acuracy of a raw device?

I think red can put the REC709 41ire grey chart where ever they want following a compromise between dynamic range, over and under grey exposure and acceptable noise for that iso value.

I would try to meter for a specific picture look of that imaging device (texture/color response/high and low light repartition).
    I think you are mixing concepts. REC709 is a known standard. "RAW device"? We are referreing to a REC 709 output.

Sure, in a LOG interpretation from a "RAW device" (which is now RGB) - you can put it (18%) wherever you want. That's is why we have various "flavors" of LOG for different cameras (LogC, S-Log, etc) and why, whith different output transforms - some LOG interpretations are better than others with certain cameras.

But 709 is a known standard.

When gaffers meter for episodic TV - they know that if they set their meters to ISO 640 (or whatever the DP specififes) - they know that at that ISO - 18% is gonna land 41%-42% IRE.
    Last edited by Mark L. Pederson; 12-05-2017 at 05:13 PM.
    Mark L. Pederson | Director of Technology | OFFHOLLYWOOD
    Blog - MegaPixels.io
    http://twitter.com/offhollywood