Thread: What is happening? Helium Shuts down

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What is happening? Helium Shuts down 
    Hi I have recently upgraded to the weapon helium and I don't know what seems to be the issue but when I have pre record on for awhile, the camera will shut off without warning. Like just goes black and I need to start up again. I also have been having mounting issues with my mini mag as well as today while recording, my camera glitched out and gave me the image attached. Any idea if this might be a card issue? I really hope it's not the camera as it's brand new but should be covered by insurance it's frustrating that I would have issues like this after the amount of money spent. You would think there would be more attention to detail?
    Attached Images

To me all of the above sounds like poor power. Are you able to test to run it from a different powersource like ac power or such?
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    To me all of the above sounds like poor power. Are you able to test to run it from a different powersource like ac power or such?
    Hey so it shouldn’t be the power, I’m using the RED bricks with an I/O expander.

What firmware are you on?
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Random power offs could allude to a beta firmware thing, so if you can send a log to RED.

Mini-Mag mount stuff, most issues have been resolved one running a Secure Format. Which is something that sould be done every major firmware release.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by AlexJones View Post
    Hey so it shouldn’t be the power, I’m using the RED bricks with an I/O expander.
    That does not exclude it as a cause. Could still be it so better try with the ac adapter and you still have failiure I would try a different power module.

If you got accessories running from the same power sourse then its even more likly.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo

Hey Alex-

I just ran into this two weeks ago. I was on my Weapon Helium and running pre-record and got that same error message twice. I sent a log
    to RED and they asked if I had secure-formatted the SSD I was using. I hadn't. RED said it's mandatory to secure format when you're
    going to use pre-record. I did a secure format on the same SSD, ran a test and had zero issues after that. Might be the same issue for
    you.
    CF Weapon Helium #1846
    Raven #430
    Reel

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel John View Post
    Hey Alex-

I just ran into this two weeks ago. I was on my Weapon Helium and running pre-record and got that same error message twice. I sent a log
    to RED and they asked if I had secure-formatted the SSD I was using. I hadn't. RED said it's mandatory to secure format when you're
    going to use pre-record. I did a secure format on the same SSD, ran a test and had zero issues after that. Might be the same issue for
    you.
    Hey so does this apply every time you format the card? I noticed it doesn’t happen when I secure format it but I never had to secure format with the epic MX unless I had issues. Mini mags are new to me. So I need to zero it out each time now?

I’m now on 6.3.5 because 7.0.0 was giving me more issues

This is one of those things where it happens enough to worry me but not enough to just plug in the AC for a few hours. It’s like when you have something wrong but then you go to the store to show it and it won’t happen to prove it. I’m a wildlife filmmaker and a very busy one at that so testing on AC isn’t really an option and I seriously doubt it’s the power. This looks more like a media issue. I run the weapon pretty bare bones and only the helium is being operated during power and nothing else. It’s a thought but I don’t think you’re right on this one. I would see more issues concerning power.