Thread: VAN DIEMEN FULL FRAME X2 ANAMORPHIC LENSES

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1 VAN DIEMEN FULL FRAME X2 ANAMORPHIC LENSES 
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    London & Los Angeles
    Posts
    124
    Hi all,

    I was lucky enough to get the first 3 Van Diemen x2 Anamorphic lenses to shoot a quick test for a half a day back in August...here's the results of a few hours hours in the afternoon & an hour that night in Soho, London.

    These are the first three lenses Christopher Smith & his lens designer/engineer, Stephen Sisman made. I shot the two films below on their 50mm, 75mm & 100mm. I was so impressed with them I have since asked Christopher to make me a 32, 40, 50, 75, 100, 135, 180 & 317mm FULL FRAME X2 ANAMORPHIC lens set for me using his 'Wireform' internal mechanism.

    There's lots more I could write but tbh watch the films, no test charts, no story, no fill, no lights & no 1st AC either! Just images shot on a sunny day in a park at around T4 & T2.8.
    Soho was at night all wide open again no fill, no lights, no etc!

    Thanks to all those involved & to Christopher Smith who trusted me with his already sold lenses that day.

    You Tube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx9PhUAnA2U

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmQ6b7HkkBU

    Or
    VIMEO: Personally this video platform seems to have compressed our encodes more :(
    https://vimeo.com/245384321

    https://vimeo.com/245394220

    Stu
    Stuart Graham U.S.
    Stuart Graham Outside of the U.S.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Melbourne AU
    Posts
    1,652
    I really liked the city footage. Beautiful imagery. I would love to see this setup used to shoot Christmas lights. That would be something!

    Two nice things that I have noticed: no light fall-off, and less distortion than some other lenses I've seen. I'd still correct it in post, but thankfully it's not too pronounced. I don't know why the hell people think that distortion is a 'feature'.

    I also like Van Diemen's Wireform mechanism. Very clever. Is that similar to what Leica did with the Summilux-Cs?

    Quick question about the Monochrome: technically, the DR would be the same as the Bayer sensor, but if the shadows are a bit cleaner on the Monochrome sensor, that could mean an effective increase in DR - does your experience confirm that?
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    The Youtube links don't seem to work.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    London & Los Angeles
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Cazacu View Post
    The Youtube links don't seem to work.
    Doh! A roockie mistake by me, thanks for pointing this error out Vladimir...all fixed now :)
    Last edited by Stuart Graham; 12-02-2017 at 01:57 AM.
    Stuart Graham U.S.
    Stuart Graham Outside of the U.S.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    London & Los Angeles
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    I really liked the city footage. Beautiful imagery. I would love to see this setup used to shoot Christmas lights. That would be something!
    Thanks Karim, The bokeh is really nice, kinda Ana' old school too...might be too much in some distant multi source shots maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    Two nice things that I have noticed: no light fall-off, and less distortion than some other lenses I've seen. I'd still correct it in post, but thankfully it's not too pronounced. I don't know why the hell people think that distortion is a 'feature'.
    The 50mm had some distortion but no more than COOKE, HAWK, LOMO, PANAVISION's B's & C's. In the grade we didn't add any vignette to any scene. all 3 lenses do have a 'slight' vignette to them but as all of this set & the ones Van Diemen are making for me now weren't designed for full frame there will be more light & focus fall off than the original manufacturer had set the lenses up for.

    Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    I also like Van Diemen's Wireform mechanism. Very clever. Is that similar to what Leica did with the Summilux-Cs?
    It is & very 'service free' too, their latest version of it is now far more accepting of the WCU-4's very harsh end stop hitting lens calibrations...something the COOKE S4's don't always survive from.

    Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    Quick question about the Monochrome: technically, the DR would be the same as the Bayer sensor, but if the shadows are a bit cleaner on the Monochrome sensor, that could mean an effective increase in DR - does your experience confirm that?
    This was shot on the EPIC MONOCHROME so yes the first MONO' version & the DR is way short of the HELIUM so we generally exposed for the highlights & opened the shadows on set with the ISO & then again in the grade too. As RED continue to improve their camera's I find that since adopting the RED DRAGON back in the day then the WEAPON, then HELIUM & soon the MONSTRO I've always got amazing DR way way more than the claimed 15+, 16 & 16+ etc due to this 'expose for the highlights' style of shooting any noise I incurred I actually embraced as to me it makes your films less sharp n perfect, if post or the client felt the noise wasn't for them then most 'de-noise' tools takes it all out very efficiently.

    Thanks for your comments. Stu
    Stuart Graham U.S.
    Stuart Graham Outside of the U.S.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member Nick Morrison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    8,658
    Do we know how much they plan to sell each lens for?
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    London & Los Angeles
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Do we know how much they plan to sell each lens for?
    You supply all the glass & it’s around £8000 + VAT per lens
    Stuart Graham U.S.
    Stuart Graham Outside of the U.S.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Sorry, but i didn't understand it clearly, what's the ana glass and what is the sphérical glass?
    LOMO+LEICA-R?
    thanks
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    London & Los Angeles
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian Berutti View Post
    Sorry, but i didn't understand it clearly, what's the ana glass and what is the sphérical glass?
    LOMO+LEICA-R?
    thanks
    This set of three (50mm, 75mm & 100mm) tested were:
    LOMO round x2 Anamorphic fronts & a Cooke Speed Panchro taking lens.

    Stu
    Stuart Graham U.S.
    Stuart Graham Outside of the U.S.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Graham View Post
    This set of three (50mm, 75mm & 100mm) tested were:
    LOMO round x2 Anamorphic fronts & a Cooke Speed Panchro taking lens.

    Stu
    Interesting - so is it due to the anamorphic element that make this old Panchros cover full frame? And with which lenses would Christopher make the 32 and 40mm anamorphic versions?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts