Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED TECH Low Light

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    There's a huge difference between 'low light' and 'not enough light'. This video was talking about low light. But still exposing things properly.

Again, there's no magic bullet or setting for 'not enough light' and if you can't get more light in via the optics or adding lighting then it's a balancing/compromising art to see what you are willing to sacrifice in terms of noise/detail as it is with every other camera system out there.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

2017 Reel

Website
    Twitter
    Instagram

Agreed, I think the real mix up is between "low light" and "low key."
    a.k.a. Lochness Digital

Rui,

Shooting underwater, as you well know, necessarily involves very low light levels, we are always looking for tools to deal with that. No magic bullet, as Ben says, when ambient isn't good enough you have to light it up. Which is what the video is about.

I am personally looking forward to the reintroduction of the 3-CCD sensor or something equivalent, whether Red does it or someone else, CMOS performance is not stellar in low light.

Having said that, there is one magic bullet I know of, I use the NR tools in Resolve Studio to rescue otherwise unusable footage shot at murky depths.
    Dragon 6K 'Red Sea'
    Gates Deep Weapon/Dragon
    FAA 333 UAS Aerial Cinematography 4K RAW
    Red Sea Pictures

Yep NR in post is definitely one of the tools/compromises you can make when considering shooting in sub optimal lighting conditions. I've been rescued several times by it.

2017 Reel

Website
    Twitter
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hamilton View Post
    Rui,

Shooting underwater, as you well know, necessarily involves very low light levels, we are always looking for tools to deal with that. No magic bullet, as Ben says, when ambient isn't good enough you have to light it up. Which is what the video is about.

I am personally looking forward to the reintroduction of the 3-CCD sensor or something equivalent, whether Red does it or someone else, CMOS performance is not stellar in low light.

Having said that, there is one magic bullet I know of, I use the NR tools in Resolve Studio to rescue otherwise unusable footage shot at murky depths.
    but the NR tools is not even half as good as neat video, no?
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo

twice as fast though!

2017 Reel

Website
    Twitter
    Instagram

Is there a Neat Video plug-in for Resolve?
    Dragon 6K 'Red Sea'
    Gates Deep Weapon/Dragon
    FAA 333 UAS Aerial Cinematography 4K RAW
    Red Sea Pictures

In my mind shooting low iso or shutting down to create a dark shot even though it´s not is normally not called lowlight. Its called low key or day for night. Low light... is more commonly used when you shoot with low exposure and dont have coverage in the whole frame.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo

It would be nice that RED Tech had more complete and structured tutorial videos about different subjects.
    My point is, like in this example about Low Light shooting, where several aspects are missing, a well planned video, will avoid that. Including all the steps / stages from equipment (for example OLPF choice, lenses, etc), production (camera settings) and post-production (adjustment in RCX and NR if needed) will certainly be very welcome.

We all know that every choice is a trade-off and there are no miracles. But since we don't have a RED Shooting Guide or at least an User Manual that teaches users when and how to use all the camera functions, RED Tech videos will be a very good opportunity to do so, and not to just outline in a general way some of the cameras functionalities (that were already mentioned in other videos and in the RED website).
    Last edited by Rui Guerra; 12-01-2017 at 08:37 AM.
    Rui Guerra - PHOTOGUERRA Underwater Productions, Lda.
    www.photoguerra.net

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hamilton View Post
    Is there a Neat Video plug-in for Resolve?
    There is. They have an OFX version that plugs right into Resolve. It works wonderfully.