Thread: Is Adobe Removing Previous Versions

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Is Adobe Removing Previous Versions 
    Am I understanding the situation correctly, that Adobe has removed previous versions of their software from the Application Manager? What I've seen mentioned is a licensing issue with Dolby. If David is still poking around Reduser and can comment, I would appreciate it. I will also try to contact someone I know at Adobe tomorrow to see what is going on.

What has brought this to my attention is that I just did dailies for a client through Silverstack Lab using the Premiere CC XML workflow, and the dailies are fine on my Mac in Premiere 2017.0.2 Build 11.0.2 (47) but the client's PC which has 2018 is seeing the audio as 5.1 instead of individual audio tracks (within the merged clip). The thought was to have me try and install 2018 on my system and see if I could reproduce the problem. However, I decided not to do that because the Application Manager would need to be updated, and quite honestly what I have been hearing about versions not being there (through Adobe forum) has me nervous about making any changes to my system.

What I'm getting at here is that if it is true that they have removed previous versions, with no warning to their customers that they are doing so via email, notifications on their website, etc. then this is exactly the type of fear I had when the subscription method was first announced. Professional postproduction people need to have access to all versions of software. There are many valid reasons why that is so. I'm not going to list them here as many of you probably already know, and hopefully Adobe knows too. Bottom line is, if I need Premiere Pro CC 2015.3, and for whatever reason I don't have that available to me, I need to be able to get it through Adobe. Trust me, if versioning is not handled properly and gets chaotic, this will give many post professionals pause when it comes to choosing an NLE.

Before I go any further, I'd simply like to know if anyone has insight into this situation and can verify that this is indeed what is going on or do I have bad information? Here are some of my sources of this information.
    https://foigus.wordpress.com/2017/11...-with-silence/
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2397729
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2397676

I will try to hold off any further opinion until I can get confirmation.
    Steve Sherrick

Hi Steve,

I have the updated CC. I upgraded to Premiere CC 2018, but discovered that it would convert CC 2017 files to a new file format, which would screw whoever I shared the project file with. Luckily the latest version of the App Manager allowed me to reinstall CC 2017, so I have both 2017 and 2018 running side-by-side.

Not sure if that answers your question, but I was able to install a previous version, even though it's only one version back. Not sure if I can install 2015 - I can check when I get home.
    Red EPIC-W #003307 "Annabelle"

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Dulu View Post
    Hi Steve,

I have the updated CC. I upgraded to Premiere CC 2018, but discovered that it would convert CC 2017 files to a new file format, which would screw whoever I shared the project file with. Luckily the latest version of the App Manager allowed me to reinstall CC 2017, so I have both 2017 and 2018 running side-by-side.

Not sure if that answers your question, but I was able to install a previous version, even though it's only one version back. Not sure if I can install 2015 - I can check when I get home.
    Yes, my client is able to go back to 2017 but not to any other versions. If what I suspect is happening, is truly happening, then it's the nightmare scenario I anticipated back at the release of CC. For some, this may be a non-issue but for others, versioning problems whether it's the availability of previous versions or compatibility between versions/platforms will absolutely bite them in the rear if they don't manage it properly.

I''m hoping David McGavran or other Adobe reps can jump in here and clarify. Here's what I expect to be able to access when it comes to prior versions of software.

Steve Sherrick

That’s really scary actually! I still have my film, “The Review - A Fatal Frame Fan Film”, up for festivals and it was made in CC 2015. I recently upgraded some Adobe apps thinking I could always get the previous versions just in case. Sure, there might be bugs in older versions but changing file formats and such is where things can get messed up (like FCP7 to FCPX). Needless to say, it would be a nightmare to have to re-edit or remake some of the many effects shots in the movie if I ever needed to. :(

Every prediction I had regarding Adobe going full subscription model has come to pass... The real problem here is they don’t have any serious competition. That’s not just going to materialize out of thin air and it may be a long while, or even never. If they at least had a moral compass, that would help immensely.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Weaponized Dragon for hire. 8K available... "soon"

Senior Member Anthony Berenato Jr's Avatar
    I just reinstalled a few older versions for a client yesterday. The system is still in place.

The Dolby thing was a simple update to CC17 that came out of nowhere to remove the Dolby additions. It didn’t look like they were leaning to remove older versions when in fact they’re still adding QoL fixes.
    Anthony Berenato Jr.
    Director / Cinematography Enthusiast
    Web: http://www.anthonyandcamera.com
    Reel: http://vimeo.com/89725163

Weapon Helium 8K #4844

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Berenato Jr View Post
    I just reinstalled a few older versions for a client yesterday. The system is still in place.

The Dolby thing was a simple update to CC17 that came out of nowhere to remove the Dolby additions. It didn’t look like they were leaning to remove older versions when in fact they’re still adding QoL fixes.
    In Application Manager I still see a whole bunch of versions missing for Premiere. Are you seeing the 2014, 2015 versions?
    Steve Sherrick

It seems like the old mantra "what goes in Premiere stays in Premiere" may be still with us??

Resolve is the future. Now if all decent plugins that work in Premiere and FCPX got available in there...
    Sérgio Perez

EPIC-X 2029 "Lilau" in Macau!

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

Update! Thank goodness I thought to keep 2015.3 on my editing PC! Granted, if all it is was the removal of the Dolby stuff then my project would probably be fine but until this is sorted I'll be sure to leave my installation as-is.