Thread: Shooting with fog machines and high humidity

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Shooting with fog machines and high humidity 
    I have a shoot coming up this weekend where we plan on using a fog machine to fog out a room. I just have a couple questions I'm a little concerned about. I'll be shooting on my R1MX

First of all, I know fog machines are water and glycol based, I don't think the lens mount is 100% air tight so is it possible for the fog over time to get into the sensor and gunk it up with humidity and glycol? I'm sure the fog solution is pretty much pure humidity.

Also, what is the maximum humidity the camera can safety operate in?

I just haven't been able to find much information on this. I love my camera and want to keep it safe.

Should not be a problem.
    That said, not all fog fluids are glycol based - some use a mineral oil.
    Use professional gear and recommended fluids.

The seals between the glass and sensor are quite good.

Maximum humidity spec? Don't have a technical answer but have used my R1 capturing a day long time-lapse in rain - covered with a plastic bag but still that's 100% humidity with no problem.
    There are a number of owners that have posted about shooting in high humidity environments with good results.

Reminds me of a piece of history: a mini-doc around the original RED One prototypes that Steven Soderbergh used in the jungles to shoot Che.
    https://vimeo.com/9031359

Quote Originally Posted by Brian F Kobylarz View Post
    The seals between the glass and sensor are quite good.
    I have the Nikon mount installed on my R1 at the moment, seals should be good on there too you think?

By the way thanks for sharing that documentary, that was fantastic!

Hi Aaron.
    I wouldn't worry much about the mount, I would be more worried about the fan blowing cool air into the camera and taking the humidity with it.
    But I don't think smoke is enough to be a problem, I have shot my R1MX with a Nikon mount in a tiny cabin filled with smoke for two days straight, no problem.