Thread: Any users who can comment on Raven versus Epic MX?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Lightbourn View Post
    Thanks Andreas. I already pulled the trigger on the Epic! Image was the only thing I was interested in, so the Epic took the cake (ended up paying less than $9K for the entire kit).
    To boost image quality further (especially in high frame rates), see if you can get the Mini-Mag SSD for the Epic. It's $1,500 in the RED store right now, and get Mini-Mags instead. This will give you several notches better Compression ratios in every frame rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Montville View Post
    To boost image quality further (especially in high frame rates), see if you can get the Mini-Mag SSD for the Epic. It's $1,500 in the RED store right now, and get Mini-Mags instead. This will give you several notches better Compression ratios in every frame rate.
    Is that detailed info written anywhere (specifically for Epic-X and Scarlet-X with mini-mags)? I know the (now defunct?) 512gb red coloured full-sized mags offered better compression ratio too, but I thought it was literally one notch and only at speed (e.g. 5:1 instead of 6:1 at 4kFF/24, while 4kWS was still only 5:1 regardless of mags used.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Is that detailed info written anywhere (specifically for Epic-X and Scarlet-X with mini-mags)? I know the (now defunct?) 512gb red coloured full-sized mags offered better compression ratio too, but I thought it was literally one notch and only at speed (e.g. 5:1 instead of 6:1 at 4kFF/24, while 4kWS was still only 5:1 regardless of mags used.)
    http://docs.red.com.s3.amazonaws.com...MX_REDCODE.htm

Looks like it all depends on which size of 1.8" and mini, but starting with the 480GB mini's, that's where you get the best compression numbers. Also keep in mind, from me following around on this forum for a few years, Epic-MX cameras don't have the "improved REDCODE" that the Epic Dragon offers. Correct me if I'm wrong, so higher REDCODE starts to hurt the image faster on MX cameras. Maybe it was ported over from newer firmware though?