Thread: Raven / Scarlet MX Anamorphic Modes

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Raven / Scarlet MX Anamorphic Modes 
    I can't seem to find an answer anywhere, and don't remember what anamorphic options my Scarlet MX had, but do either Raven or Scarlet MX have a 2X anamorphic frame which shoots at least 24fps & desqueezes to around 4K+?
    Director / Cinematographer / VFX
    ryanlightbourn@gmail.com

ALL THE DEVILS ARE HERE creature feature available now on iTunes, Amazon, Google Play and more!
    Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-SiE7U7sbo

Website - www.ryanlightbourn.net
    Twitter - twitter.com/ryanlightbourn
    Vimeo - vimeo.com/ryanlightbourn
    IMDB - imdb.com/name/nm3405871

Scarlet MX only allows for 2X anamorphic in 5K which is limited to 12fps anyway so kinda useless unless you're shooting timelapse or for stills. So for motion you will prob need an external monitor with that desqueeze ability.
    Samir Patel
    instagram.com/patelimages

samir-patel.com

--
    profile photo courtesy @kris_tamburello
    Stealth Weapon-MG and EPIC-W with some vintage Contax-Zeiss and Leica-R goodness and some Canon and Nikon modern glass just for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Samir Patel View Post
    Scarlet MX only allows for 2X anamorphic in 5K which is limited to 12fps anyway so kinda useless unless you're shooting timelapse or for stills. So for motion you will prob need an external monitor with that desqueeze ability.
    Thanks Samir, that's what I thought. Anyone know about Raven? I don't see anything on the Red.com spec sheet.
    ryanlightbourn@gmail.com

ALL THE DEVILS ARE HERE creature feature available now on iTunes, Amazon, Google Play and more!

You can actually get some pretty good anamorphic out of a scarlet mx using look around mode and capturing the hd-sdi signal (and up to 60fps at full 5K FoV!) using 2x Ana desqueeze mode on an odyssey 7Q or similar then a simple desqueeze in post. Yes you lose 4k & raw but it looks pretty good regardless and pretty clean at iso800 too.

Craig Lees
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Lees View Post
    You can actually get some pretty good anamorphic out of a scarlet mx using look around mode and capturing the hd-sdi signal (and up to 60fps at full 5K FoV!) using 2x Ana desqueeze mode on an odyssey 7Q or similar then a simple desqueeze in post. Yes you lose 4k & raw but it looks pretty good regardless and pretty clean at iso800 too.

Craig Lees
    UK
    Not a bad idea, thanks Craig! I'd probably use 4K raw and crop the sides mostly, but this would come in handy for certain shots where the extra resolution is needed. (edit: I see now where I'd lose 4K, but still could be useful for 1080p projects, which is the majority of what I do)
    Last edited by Ryan Lightbourn; 11-24-2017 at 09:46 AM.
    ryanlightbourn@gmail.com

Yeah 4k is nice but actually 1080p full 5K FoV with scarlet mx at 800ISO (for that extra highlight retention and lower noise floor is even better IMHO) WYSIWYG monitoring with good lighting / gaffer is more than enough for 99% of real world clients.

Even though I still have an 8k epic-w lols. Dragon and Helium colours are really great though, one aspect definitely improved on over MX, especially under tungsten.

Craig Lees
    UK

Yeah 4k is nice but actually 1080p full 5K FoV with scarlet mx at 800ISO (for that extra highlight retention and lower noise floor is even better IMHO) WYSIWYG monitoring with good lighting / gaffer is more than enough for 99% of real world clients.

Even though I still have an 8k epic-w lols. Dragon and Helium colours are really great though, one aspect definitely improved on over MX, especially under tungsten.

Craig Lees
    UK
    I envy you haha. I'm just making a temporary purchase for a feature film. I'm now eyeballing an Epic MX kit; it's insane how cheap they're going for on the used market.

That's great to hear about Dragon though. Raven is super tempting considering I could buy new and have the security of being an "official" Red shooter again. I wish Scarlet-W was Raven-priced...if it was I'd pull the trigger without hesitation.

I imagine 8K is a blast to work with in post (oversampled sharpness, ability to crop, awesome noise floor, etc).
    ryanlightbourn@gmail.com

Craig Lees
    UK

What settings do you use for 60 fps

Set res to 4k, then turn on look around, then set display- sdi- 60hz then use a recorder that can do 60p 1080p recording like an odyssey 7Q.

Craig Lees
    UK