Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: SLR Magic APO HyperPrime mini review

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Wilganowski View Post
    I own the contax speeds. Absolutely love them. But I need pl. Nobody will put a pl mount on the 35mm contax speed. For some reason, it can't be done. So, I'm very familiar with contax. I particularly love the flare and bokeh. These Slr magics seem like they flare way less and very differently than contax. Can you comment on the differences you see in that regard since you are very familiar with contax as well?
    As far as I know G.L optics has a rehoused PL version of the Contax, and they also offer interchangeable mount PL/EF. Have you checked them out? a bit pricy, but heard on the forum good reviews about them, and they have dealers in the US with servicing etc.
    Oron Cohen
    Scarlet-W
    www.oroncohen.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Wilganowski View Post
    I own the contax speeds. Absolutely love them. But I need pl. Nobody will put a pl mount on the 35mm contax speed. For some reason, it can't be done. So, I'm very familiar with contax. I particularly love the flare and bokeh. These Slr magics seem like they flare way less and very differently than contax. Can you comment on the differences you see in that regard since you are very familiar with contax as well?

Even amongst the contax i have/had different versions of the same lens giving different results (different ages and serials). For the 50mm f1.4 i've had 4 of them and currently have what i consider the best copy i've seen. The others are much worse, noticeably so. But that still flares more than the Hyperprime. But you can see the flare example above if you basically get the sun in there it flares quite nicely. I will see whether i can find a side by side.

The 85 flares less than the Contax f1.4 but then i find that contax suffers a lot of veiling flare, even at f2. The 90mm cron though has some awful flares, any bright area would reflect. The 90 cron has cats eye type swirly bokeh which i find distracting in motion. Nice for still portraits though (which is what it was made for)

The 25 flares more than the 25mm Contax.

Later on i will see if i can dig up some side by sides.

Not sure why a PL can't be put on a contax... Odd.

Other differences, the contax sway magenta and the Hyperprimes green. Side by side i prefer the Hyperprime colour, warmer. But casts are easy to sway one way or the other.

For all the APO reasons above i prefer the bokeh of the hyper primes, that's the main reason i love them.

An issue i have with contax is focus can be very difficult to track because of the focus travel, it's fine to hit a focus point but tracking someone moving in is very very tough. So cine focus makes that easier.

I do find some of the contax quite different rendering too. I feel that the hyper primes are more consistent between them. The rendering between distagon, sonnar, planar noticably different.

cheers
    Paul

Paul, when you get some time, can you provide some samples with the other two focal lengths? I'm already loving what you've shown from the 50mm. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    Even amongst the contax i have/had different versions of the same lens giving different results (different ages and serials). For the 50mm f1.4 i've had 4 of them and currently have what i consider the best copy i've seen. The others are much worse, noticeably so. But that still flares more than the Hyperprime. But you can see the flare example above if you basically get the sun in there it flares quite nicely. I will see whether i can find a side by side.

The 85 flares less than the Contax f1.4 but then i find that contax suffers a lot of veiling flare, even at f2. The 90mm cron though has some awful flares, any bright area would reflect. The 90 cron has cats eye type swirly bokeh which i find distracting in motion. Nice for still portraits though (which is what it was made for)

The 25 flares more than the 25mm Contax.

Later on i will see if i can dig up some side by sides.

Not sure why a PL can't be put on a contax... Odd.

Other differences, the contax sway magenta and the Hyperprimes green. Side by side i prefer the Hyperprime colour, warmer. But casts are easy to sway one way or the other.

For all the APO reasons above i prefer the bokeh of the hyper primes, that's the main reason i love them.

An issue i have with contax is focus can be very difficult to track because of the focus travel, it's fine to hit a focus point but tracking someone moving in is very very tough. So cine focus makes that easier.

I do find some of the contax quite different rendering too. I feel that the hyper primes are more consistent between them. The rendering between distagon, sonnar, planar noticably different.

cheers
    Paul
    I wish there were wider sonnars, they look so detailed but smooth on the Monstro.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    Paul, when you get some time, can you provide some samples with the other two focal lengths? I'm already loving what you've shown from the 50mm. Thanks.

Aaron,

Here are some others, i will get more but these are from an A7sII, i do have some Red shots as well but need to sort them through. These are all the 25mm and also comparison with a 25mm Contax Zeiss.

Broadly speaking the 25 is the weakest in terms of correction however it is still better than both a Contax 25 and a Leica R 24. At T2.1 it's a little soft although totally usable. The other lenses are f2.8 at their fastest. I would say at T2.1 the Hyperprime is better than they are at f2.8. Also like for like the Hyperprime seems to have a faster focus fall off. Noticeably so. It flares more, especially in direct sun, it's the flaryest of all the set. There's an odd double flare but actually this has one of those SLR Magic filters on and i'm wondering whether it's the filter doing that. Stopped down to 5.6 then the Hyperprime is actually sharper than the Zeiss, it's making the A7sII alias on edges. The Hyperprime is smoother edge to edge and exhibits less CA as well. Again as i mentioned before it feels nicer. Simple as that, a very personal preference. Here are some images

First Hyperprime then Contax at 5.6

Then flare, Hyperprime and Contax. Now the Hyperprime was at T2.1 here and the Contax at f2.8 (no idea what the T stop would be)

And closer focus on the front of the bench. It's interesting to note that the Hyperprime appears wider, but that could be the angle. It drops off noticeable faster (T2.8 and f2.8 on both) which could mean that the T on the contax is quite a bit less than the f, but i don't think so. Both show CA on the bench though. You can push the Hyperprime to get this

I will get some processed from the Epic and also the 85 as i do have some of these too

hope this helps

cheers
    Paul

This is side by side with Contax at f5.6 and Hyperprime at T5.6

I think that perhaps the Contax is showing field curvature because it does seem a little too soft, the image is from the centre right of the overall image. Although i thought it would be far enough away for that not to be a factor.

cheers
    Paul

Here are some from the 25 via the Epic and compared to Leica R 24mm. The 24mm was an exceptional copy, late serial ROM version.

So first up, same as the 50 outside, lots of sun. If you can see on these (and they're 2K from 8K) that the area of the car on the Leica is very busy, with quite a lot of aberrations. The SLR Magic Hyperprime is much smoother. Edge to edge too. You can also see how different the colour casts are.

Then out of focus, the Hyperprime is much smoother than the Leica

Again, untouched out of the camera, so no additional sharpness or contrast added differently.

cheers
    Paul

Here's a close up on the car, which pretty much exhibits everything i don't like about lenses.

Leica R 24mm vs Hyperprime 25

Right click and open in a new tab to see full res.

Also the focus fall off is interesting. I believe these are f2.8 on the Leica and T2.8 on the Hyperprime. See the front bokeh is about the same but the distant background isn't by a long way. Focus in both of these was on the front grill of the car (which isn't in this crop but you can see it above)

cheers
    Paul

Good job done, Paul, I wish there were more reviews like yours here on RU. It's always nice to see direct comparison of different era lenses.

Why don't you post 8k directly here? I suppose no need in 2k downsample which kills every detail. I use google photo for instance, you can get a direct-to-original link and embed here.

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    Focus in both of these was on the front grill of the car (which isn't in this crop but you can see it above)
    Thanks for the new samples and the comparison to the Leica. These SLR Magics seem like winners.

Are you positive the focus was where you say it is?