Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: SLR Magic APO HyperPrime mini review

Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast
    Here's a real quick color comparison between my 25, 50, and 85. Is this green shift variation normal for the 25? https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sntbqzo6g...8shD-F2Qa?dl=0

This is great! Definitely pushing me towards these lenses!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Gelhard View Post
    Hi Guys,

new Commercial i shot with the SLR Magic APO Hyperprimes. Just the 50 and 85mm. mostly wideopen.
    Camera was a RED Gemini. And i used a Black Promist 1/8

Cheers
    Marcus
    This is great! Definitely pushing me towards these lenses!

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsson San Pablo Chu View Post
    Here's a real quick color comparison between my 25, 50, and 85. Is this green shift variation normal for the 25? https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sntbqzo6g...8shD-F2Qa?dl=0
    I can't say that i've noticed such a great difference but i will take a look later.

One observation is that the 25mm is exposed quite a bit less which is making it look worse, if you equalise the exposure it's not quite so different. But it is skewing green for sure.

Did you have ND on these tests?

cheers
    Paul

Yeh my 25 is greener than the rest. Focus marks was off with my 32mm (good deal off) and a bit off with my 85mm. Contacted SLR magic and they asked me to send pics of the lenses focused on a flat object facing camera at certain distances. Sent them the photos and they did some testing and narrowed it down to my camera mount being off not so much the lenses (since they test them). They said this would most likely be the case with any PL lens i put on the camera since the mount itself was off. So they asked me to shim the camera mount which I did on my Ursa mini pro (the PL mount comes with shims). I haven't fully tested them but I tested about 3 different distances on all 4 lenses so far and the focus is now hitting where it is supposed to. I will finish testing them today.

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    How different/stiff are we really talking? All mine are fairly similar, the aperture is stiffer than focus (to be expected). All mine run using wireless FF and i've not had any issues at all. Where are all these lenses coming from? Is temperature a factor?
    Pretty noticeable difference with my 50 and the rest of the lenses. I'm in a hot tropical country so that's not a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Gelhard View Post
    Hi Guys,

new Commercial i shot with the SLR Magic APO Hyperprimes. Just the 50 and 85mm. mostly wideopen.
    Camera was a RED Gemini. And i used a Black Promist 1/8

Cheers
    Marcus
    Looks great Marcus

Some interesting news. So I picked up this for my pocket 4k camera https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ourthirds.html

It was really made for CP2 and CP3 lenses which have a short rear element. In this case from the PL "ears" on the mount to the rear of the lens need to be shorter than 15.7mm so as to not hit the glass in the speedbooster. So I measured all the SLR magic lenses and all fit within spec so I pulled the trigger. And it works great....so now I'm shooting 35mm with PL lenses on my pocket 4k. Its actually a tad wider than my Ursa mini pro which is a super 35mm sensor. So if ya'll are thinking about picking up a pocket 4k or any other m43 camera and want to use your SLR magic lenses without having that crop(and one more stop of light) then you are good to go. I had to adjust my speedbooster because the lenses could not focus to infinity. Easy (but possibly time consuming) process of releasing a screw and turning/screwing/unscrewing the optics in the speedbooster , and testing the lenses after adjustment till you are hitting infinity on all lenses. Then re-tighten the screw.

Hey Paul - did you have a chance to look at my test earlier in the thread? All 4 shots were taken under controlled lighting with no ND.

Thanks for posting your color test Ericsson. The green tint on the 25 looks similar to mine. The 85 and 50 seem to match better than my test - makes me wonder if my copy of the 85 is off...

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Paul - Nope no ND filter, and lighting was controlled at night with one 5600k light just quickly bounced off the ceiling. Also fairly certain that all lenses were set to t/2.8, and I didn't touch any other setting between shots.... I think it is perceived exposure variation due to the color shift and seeing the walls on the side which are darker (that said I will test again this weekend with my coming 32mm, and triple check t-stop, etc. is the same and post back). This is my 2nd copy of the 25mm, and both exhibited around the same amount of green shift. I've emailed SLR Magic too, but I just wanted to hear back from others here if they're experiencing the same amount of shift. My 25mm flares quite a bit wide open too, but I think that is by design... kind of interesting flares too.

Yeah Joe, my 50 and 85 look fairly close. I will test them against my coming 32, and post back here for you to compare yours.

Darren - my 25mm is also not hitting its marks (the 50 and 85 are though). SLR Magic replied to me too with the same picture requests, so I'll wait to hear back from them, and post here what happened in case it might help others in the future.

Really love the lenses though, its just a shame the 25mm is causing me such trouble... if it matched the 50 and 85 (and 32), I would be more than 100% content with the set (I do love how they look otherwise!).
    Last edited by Ericsson San Pablo Chu; 01-16-2019 at 03:19 PM.