Thread: SALT VV - VistaVision Lens Shootout

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    It appears the chromatic aberration Wide Angle (21, 24, & 25mm) jpeg is the wrong slide, it's named "phfx_SALTVV_CAHA_wide01" but it is the same image as "phfx_SALTVV_OOF_ultraWide01."

Thanks for all the work you guys do and have already done for the community.

AMAZING!

I have to say I'm very taken with the OTUS lenses... (from what is shown), I don't think they are boring at all; Kinda best of old school and modern/new "school"... In terms of "look" and color fidelity/"rendering" and texture and certain amount of warmth and glossiness to them/silkiness yet fabulous contrast and really interesting blue tones too. There's some real magic there very noticeable on the reflections off the aluminum bare rings and metal cases on the right side of the scene. Decent coverage, not too purple in the left hand corner and really well controlled distortion on the F2.8 28mm Otus... Seems to have some of the warmer tones of the Xenon (almost) but also has cooler crisper characteristics... I really like the slight granular subtle texture of the lens flare... It's like a soft ground glass type of texture and effect. Amazing "internal" quality of the lens to achieve that.

I'm impressed as hell at the Otus. Period.

They seem so good almost daunting/humbling. You really feel that as to what they could really bring.

Thanks so very very much,

@Evin Grant, Mathew Duclos and Phil Holland ... SUPER HEROES!

(That's a ton of pain staking and mind numbing work and difficult to keep your wits about you... amazing and really solid and excellent work that is super useful too !).
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

RSVP'd for HYDROGEN -VIP SNEAK PEAK @ RED STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD on and for MAY 19th 2018.

(Its really a sneak peek into your future and THE future :-) )

Be there or be flat! Or at least risk feeling dimensionally challenged!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    It appears the chromatic aberration Wide Angle (21, 24, & 25mm) jpeg is the wrong slide, it's named "phfx_SALTVV_CAHA_wide01" but it is the same image as "phfx_SALTVV_OOF_ultraWide01."

Thanks for all the work you guys do and have already done for the community.
    Thanks for that catch Aaron. Corrected, just refresh your browser.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Lange View Post
    I'm impressed as hell at the Otus. Period.
    In my best Jeremy Clarkson impersonation, "They are very good".

If you guys have a smart tv or Apple TV and happen to have a UHD 4K television, I would say these are well worth logging into YouTube to watch on the larger screen btw. It illuminates a lot.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

To all of you, thanks for making this happen, a massive thanks also for being honest when it comes to your personal choices.
    People can't realize the amount of work, time and concentration needed in such a test and its result.
    I stopped working yesterday to watch the entire live on Facebook and it was really instructive and entertaining.
    Monstro 8K VV and Epic-W packages ready to shoot
    Gates Pro Action DSMC2 Water Housing
    SPL DSMC2 Custom Water Housings
    Reel
    L/K-rtel
    Capbreton, France
    Instagram, Twitter and Vimeo

thanks Guyss :) nice Work..

and think I was going to buy the Celere ..
    But I had the same doubt during a shot, I used the Xeen and either immediately after the Celere, but in post with davinci, they looked the same to the Xeen as a response ...
    Now everything is confirmed ...
    Grading Suite Davinci Resolve, Rental RED Digital camera.
    MONSTRO 8k CF #831 "BLACK PEARL"
    SCARLET-W #45 "HEIDI " , EPIC-W GEMINI # "DAFNE".
    ARRI ALEXA EV , ALEXA MINI LF

SITE
    www.cine5k.ch

www.rsi.ch

Superb Test !
    Thank you for the massive effort and thought that went into this.
    Sad I could not make it and help.

Cheers !

Matt Uhry

www.mattuhry.com

Hats off to you all guys, amazing work, and what an amazing resource for the community!

Cheers!

Wow, thanks for all the work ! Reaffirms my love for my Otus set . They are an achievement .

Thanks,
    Tim
    www.tjphoto.net

Quote Originally Posted by Evin Grant View Post
    In addition to the indoor VV portion of this test we also shot an outdoor section of the test on the 8K S35+ Helium.
    The higher pixel density of the Helium sensor seems to be a bit more demanding on optics, especially for chromatic aberration but also for sharpness.

Below are 100% comparison matrices of the closest focal lengths. These are from 4K Jpeg snapshots out of RCX50, I also included full 8K R3D snapshots if you want to dig deeper. I did my best to keep things consistent but shooting this many lenses outdoors in a timely manner is going to introduce some variations in lighting and color. If you're looking for critical differences in color rendering download the R3Ds and compare with similar settings.

Also if you dive into the files you'll notice there are snapshots from wide open and then snapshots at varying apertures. I chose to include those apertures where I felt the lenses sharpened up noticeably from wide open (if they did not I did not include and more) and also where the CA on the chart get under control.

<snip images>.

Links...
    Canon CN-E
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nK...YajMBxHy661CKR

Hans Innotech Celere
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=11m...fkCNK4vzUKPzdU

Leica M0.8

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XK...zl-KBzMEhSwLAq

Rokinon Xeen
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i7...k5_QfakKJO64sD

Schneider Xenon
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZO...fCsXdhm1OwLxVE

Sigma Cine...
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AZ...zw7Ho9BvCuEqnI

Tokina Vista
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uvIqdXCW3NtqB9e7uzWITviyxTARibVQ

Zeiss CP.3
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yd...lCvyXCNTm9MbFL

Zeiss Otus
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Hn...8G6Wgq5avgx4gt

Helium is super important. OTUS looks amazing there too, (kinda makes sense given their MTF charts for coping with "Denser" and finer pixel pitch); but even so the contrast for fine detail and rich color rendition for larger pools or patches of color are really outstanding and "Deep". More of a 3D look as opposed to some more conventional glass that looks more flat. These anomalous dispersion type special elements and the aspheric elements seem to be really doing their job! Kinda reminds me a little bit of really high end color diapositives/high end color reversal film but with way more latitude... (thanks to the sensor). Really like how some of the fine detail contrasty elements really "Pop" and group together nicely on a "Micro scale" and yet color rendition seems really well preserved... [It's kinda how super high resolution diapositives (film) works at the grain level, or high resolution film stock that has the orange masking layer removed. ]... I think Zeiss have knocked it out of the ball park on this! And fantastic combination with modern Bayer (based) matrix/sensors... And seems to play very nicely with RED VV and Helium based sensors. Looking forward to seeing monstro 8k VV + OTUS for sure.

Having said that digging deeper on the comparison shots (from Evin's amazing links) There were a few "Standouts" that caught my eye that also kinda resonate with some of the picks from the "Lenses and Lattes" session.

For me surprised by (in a good way) , :

Zeiss 18mm CP.3

Xeen 35 mm (I really agree with that from the shots presented above)!

LeicaM 0.8 35mm @ T1.4

Canon 14mm @ T3.1

Probably the 18mm CP.3 being the most surprising and then the Xeen 35mm .

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________

I agree it is a bit frustrating that there aren't more focal lengths to choose from on the OTUS... Come on ZEISS!!! Bring it! :-) Meanwhile I say sod conventional mechanics for a (budget sensitive) cinematic rig and just engineer supporting mechanics for OTUS no matter what, like what DUCLOS are doing as the GLASS is so worth it!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Just as a "Brain fart" if this hasn't been mentioned (already), but those that want to shoot on Helium AND also RED VV (in whatever form) seems that they would be well served by OTUS (apart from having a limited lens choice right now); but I could envision someone having OTUS on VV (RED) and using it on their Weapon based HELIUMS (or is it HELIA?) and even putting said glass to HYDROGEN module that can take "Big" lenses... If you are obsessed by raw image quality (no pun intended) and are all about the image and a bit of "Magic" then OTUS would seem like a great investment for those that have to buy their gear outright.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

RSVP'd for HYDROGEN -VIP SNEAK PEAK @ RED STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD on and for MAY 19th 2018.

(Its really a sneak peek into your future and THE future :-) )

Be there or be flat! Or at least risk feeling dimensionally challenged!

Amazing work guys, thank you.