Thread: VV Monstro Canon Mount

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jeff,

You are probably already aware :

If you have a non-VV magnesium PL mount lying around - RED will replace it with a VV version.

As RED only (kindly!) offer to upgrade one mount in the Monstro upgrade process - it make more $ense to send the PL.

AJ
    Last edited by Antony Newman; 11-18-2017 at 04:05 AM.

Kind of makes zero sense if a VV mount won't work on S35. So you're telling me if i owned a Monstro and bought a Helium sensor and was in the sensor swap program i still need to own 2 different mounts? I can understand yeah if my only one was s35 size but if i owned a VV one how is that not backwards compatible? I had actually been considering selling both my s35 mounts and buying 2 VV mounts just to cover me incase I moved forward or rented just a VV body on occassion.

Quote Originally Posted by Samir Patel View Post
    Kind of makes zero sense if a VV mount won't work on S35. So you're telling me if i owned a Monstro and bought a Helium sensor and was in the sensor swap program i still need to own 2 different mounts? I can understand yeah if my only one was s35 size but if i owned a VV one how is that not backwards compatible? I had actually been considering selling both my s35 mounts and buying 2 VV mounts just to cover me incase I moved forward or rented just a VV body on occassion.
    Agree��
    Cine Gears Inc., Asian Marketing Division

Internal reflections aside, I'd love to know if it can (technically) work on a DSMC1... If someone still has one of them kicking around, that'd be pretty sweet to know.

I was also under the impression that the mounts were pretty universal (albeit with the VV merely having a bigger hole to support an obviously bigger circle/opening).

It *should* work, but I can’t guarantee it. My Canon TI mount I’ve had since the early days of my EPIC-M works fine on DSMC2, both Helium and Monstro VV. The VV mount has an updated PCB design and larger aperture so as to eliminate possibility of vignetting or other effects that may occur with certain lenses on the larger sensor. Have the new VV Canon mount as well which works on all DSMC2 brains/sensors, Helium, VV, Gemini 5K... but no DSMC1 cameras to test with, although I’m 98.5% sure it will work on DSMC1 as well.
    Last edited by Jeff Kilgroe; 07-10-2018 at 09:39 PM.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

here's the two thousand dollar question.. if you go to the red store, you will see that they no longer sell the Mg PL Mount for $3200, they instead are selling an Al PL Mount for $950.. cudos for that.. but my worry now is if I send in my camera with the Mg PL mount next week to upgrade to VV, that I will get back an AL PL VV Mount.. My contract says I will get back an Mg PL VV mount, but still I worry about falling between the cracks and getting the coconut switch. Can recent Monstro upgraders confirm their traded for VV PL mount is indeed Mg? it will say it on the back.
    DSMC2 MONSTRO "GHOST"
    FAA LICENSED DRONE PILOT

You could talk to RED before-hand and clarify which mount you’ll get back. I don’t think they’re making more Mg or Ti mounts so they’re only still available while supplies last. The nutshell explanation here is that the new price point for these cameras doesn’t support the cost of $2K~$3K lens mount options and I’m betting most opted for the Al versions anyway. My Ti PL mounts got upgraded to Mg with the 8K upgrades. I sold one Ti Canon mount and still have another, bought the Al VV Canon mount to replace the Ti one. Meh... the new VV one supposedly works better for some lenses with the larger sensor as it has a larger aperture opening. But I don’t see any difference. I guess I made $200 on the exchange and the new VV one has captive screws that my older mounts don’t. So there’s that going for it... The Mg PL mounts are definitely lighter than the Ti ones, so if you can get Mg then do so. I’ve actually never owned or used an Al PL mount for the DSMC system...
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

My understanding is they replace like for like (I am not aware of a policy change)

+) During my own Monstro upgrade : DSMC2 Magnesium PL mount -> returned with a DSMC2 Magnesium PL VV mount.

+) Captive screws in the mount (as JK mentioned)
    +) There must have been some 'corner cases that needed a wider opening from REDs testing & Dragon VV feedback for RED to warrant a redesign.

AJ

I use the old canon mount on monstro. Have not seen any flocking artifacts. But I guess some port hole shadow can accur if aimwd toward somthing that flares. my guess is that the VV mount has flocking thats improved and should not leave a shadow on helium or dsmc1 but possibly give some light bounce in the port on those cameras as the flocking hole is larger than before but improved.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo

Quote Originally Posted by Samir Patel View Post
    Agree��
    Cine Gears Inc., Asian Marketing Division