Thread: VV Monstro Canon Mount

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 VV Monstro Canon Mount- VV only?? 
    I received the new VV Canon Mount today...Is this VV only or can it be used on Helium sensor or Dragon?

Product page indicated VV only:
    http://www.red.com/store/products/ds...canon-mount-vv

Love the improved build quality and the captive screws...great little addition at a new affordable price.

www.digitalfx.tv

Twitter
    Instagram

RED One #83
    RED CF Monstro 8K VV
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium

My rep stated:

"It's more about of the spacing between the lens mount and the sensor. They expose a different size of the sensor. The VV Canon Mount is intended for the VV Sensor while the S35 Canon Mount is intended for the S35 Sensor.

But yes they are also equipped for different lenses."

The VV mount can be used on your DSMC2 camera with S35 sensors, I don’t know about DSMC1 compatibility. The updated mount has an improved internal masking design that means less chance of gate shadow and less chance of obstruction for some FF glass on the larger VV sensor. The electronics are updated too. As for the captive screws, yes this is a nice addition, but not new to this version of the mount as they were added in the previous revision. There is no difference in spacing as the flange depth for Canon EF is always the same, regardless of whether it’s 35FF/VV or S35 (APS-H, APS-C, etc.. in Canon speak). Currently the aluminum version of the mount is all that’s on the RED store, but we should see the titanium one at some point. The titanium one being more expensive, probably the same $2K price tag of the current Canon Ti mount as the new VV aluminum is $750, same as the previous aluminum one.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Weaponized Dragon for hire. 8K available... "soon"

Thanks for the replies...I finally received an answer from RED and was advised NOT to use the new mount on DSMC2 bodies with S35 sensors.
    Specifically it should only be used with the VV Monstro.

I shot some footage today on a Helium S35 sensor, so after Ive had a chance to review the footage I'll report back the results...but be advised that RED recommends not using this with the Helium.

www.digitalfx.tv

Twitter
    Instagram

RED One #83
    RED CF Monstro 8K VV

Greg :

Do you want to swap your Canon VV with the Canon regular?

I was just about to order the Canon VV & have the standard Canon mount.

(I have unopened : STH & LLO OLPF to sweeten the deal!)

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Newman View Post
    Greg :

Do you want to swap your Canon VV with the Canon regular?

I was just about to order the Canon VV & have the standard Canon mount.

(I have unopened : STH & LLO OLPF to sweeten the deal!)

AJ
    Thanks, but I ordered the VV mount for my Monstro...it just arrived yesterday. You can buy one from RED.

The original question is because I have both Monstro and Helium sensors.

www.digitalfx.tv

Twitter
    Instagram

RED One #83
    RED CF Monstro 8K VV

Curious who told you not to use the new mount with the S35 sensors? Absolutely nothing with those sensors is effected in any way. Not only that, but whichever mount you send in with your camera (PL or Canon) they upgrade it to the new VV enhanced version. Yes, the PL mount has been upgraded to play nicer with VV as well. And they don’t swap the mounts back if you send in the camera for an S35 sensor swap...

The new mounts most likely work on DSMC1 cameras as well. They work just fine as dumb mounts for sure, just not sure if the new electronics have new or different instructions vs the old mounts. I’m going to guess they do not and compatibility is fine, but I have not specifically asked RED that question nor tried it — no more DSMC1 cameras here.
    - Jeff Kilgroe

Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    Thanks for the replies...I finally received an answer from RED and was advised NOT to use the new mount on DSMC2 bodies with S35 sensors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    Curious who told you not to use the new mount with the S35 sensors? Absolutely nothing with those sensors is effected in any way. Not only that, but whichever mount you send in with your camera (PL or Canon) they upgrade it to the new VV enhanced version. Yes, the PL mount has been upgraded to play nicer with VV as well. And they don’t swap the mounts back if you send in the camera for an S35 sensor swap...
    Sort of.

While the Canon EF VV Mount WILL work on S35 cameras it's flocking, matte, and port hole size and design are different which can effect contrast and light bouncing in the sensor box. It's a subtle thing, I mean way subtle, but it's a thing.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    Curious who told you not to use the new mount with the S35 sensors?
    The guys who made the mount.

BTW- look at the product page I linked above. It states VV only.
    Ive shot with the new mount on the Helium, so I'll report the results after ive reviewed the footage...although I suspect unless I do a side-by-side comparison (same scenes using both mounts) it will be hard to tell.

www.digitalfx.tv

Twitter
    Instagram

RED One #83
    RED CF Monstro 8K VV

Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    The guys who made the mount.
    Heh. No, really. I was asking because I’ve got guys at RED telling me otherwise.

That said, I agree with Phil’s assessment of possibilities above. And yet I’ve been told that the new VV versions of the mounts are intended to be the upgraded, superior versions, even when used when swapping back to an S35 sensor. I asked this specifically of multiple people before sending in the camera. I did not want to upgrade my Canon mount if it was going to affect operation on S35.

So I’m interested in what your tests show.

BTW- look at the product page I linked above. It states VV only.
    Ive shot with the new mount on the Helium, so I'll report the results after ive reviewed the footage...although I suspect unless I do a side-by-side comparison (same scenes using both mounts) it will be hard to tell.
    - Jeff Kilgroe