Thread: NETFLIX original series "Shot in The Dark"

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 NETFLIX original series "Shot in The Dark" 
    This is a documentary series following the guys that the movie "NightCrawler" was based on... freelance news cameramen in Los Angeles. Premiers on November 17th on NETFLIX. Produced by Karga 7 Pictures.

The cameras used are a mixed bag. We used C100s as our main storytelling tool, with audio sent directly to camera while we documented the late nights. We wanted to keep it to one person in the car (cops style), so no Sound Man or AC or Producer. The cars were rigged with one C100 on the hood and 3 Black Magic Magic Micro Cinema cameras inside. All the city B-roll, car to car shots, interviews, and any scene that wasn't the guys working at night were shot on Red Ravens.

We didn't receive our Ravens until filming had already begun, but if there is a season 2, I would replace the C100s with Ravens in a heartbeat. We used ProRes LT as our master record codec on the Ravens out of necessity, but I couldn't be happier with the results. The ProRes LT is a game changer for Karga 7 Pictures. It enables us to shoot a whole day without changing expensive cards, our post department can handle the workflow, and the 10 bit 422 files are a joy to work with compared to the C100s 8 bit 420. We also had lots of problems with the C100s during online and quality control.

Lastly, the stuff police, fire fighters, emergency personnel, and these news guys have to witness in order to do their job is heavy. This job has changed the way I see the world. Check out the second episode...I make a brief appearance in the show :) Enjoy!
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography

Yeah, that's a forklift tattoo. I wasn't always a cinematographer :)

Great stuff. Looking forward to it in a couple of days!

RED Scarlet-W 5K Dragon "Genesis"

GOKER & BIT PRODUCTIONS

www.youtube.com/c/everythingmedieval

Super exciting trailer.

Just wondering, Clint, has Netflix gotten a little bit more lenient on their 4K Requirement?
    Or due to you also shooting it on Raven did they overlook the C100 being 1080p for the shots it was used for?
    Brandon Veen | Digital Curator at Hedderich's
    Epic-X Dragon #08127 + Fujifilm GFX50R + Leica BLK360

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Veen View Post
    Super exciting trailer.

Just wondering, Clint, has Netflix gotten a little bit more lenient on their 4K Requirement?
    Or due to you also shooting it on Raven did they overlook the C100 being 1080p for the shots it was used for?
    Thanks Brandon. NETFLIX gave us an exception based on budget and shooting conditions. We had 5 cameras rolling in each car for 8+ hours a night and there was at least 3 cars out every night. If they all had to be 4K, the budget would have been much bigger than it was. Plus, we shot most of the Raven stuff with the 2K ProRes LT codec. The only 4K footage was some of the drone footage.
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography

Awesome work! I'm hooked. Was that you in episode two, helping at the accident scene?

One Cine related question: it seems the wide shots on the interviews (in the cafe, or the car park) are super low res and don't match with the tighter shots. Did you notice this?

Dudeee, I really love this series! Great work!
    The end of episode 1 was so sick, because it really happend and you never get to see any footage like that. Kinda cought me!

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Preston View Post
    Awesome work! I'm hooked. Was that you in episode two, helping at the accident scene?

One Cine related question: it seems the wide shots on the interviews (in the cafe, or the car park) are super low res and don't match with the tighter shots. Did you notice this?
    Thanks Brendan. Yeah, that was me.

The wide shots are shot wide open on a Kinoptik 9.8mm and the close up was slightly closed down Zeiss B-Speed. That Kinoptik does crazy stuff wide open, but everyone liked it :) One thing it does is lose sharpness...big time.
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography

Wow. I can understand how an event like that would be life changing.

I think your experience (and Austin's) could be used in Film School Doc classes as an example of when to put the camera down and help. You guys are heroes!

This series is great, Clint! Just watched the first two episodes. That car rescue was intense. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Preston View Post
    Wow. I can understand how an event like that would be life changing.

I think your experience (and Austin's) could be used in Film School Doc classes as an example of when to put the camera down and help. You guys are heroes!
    I only wish I had pulled the headphone cable out before setting it down. You can see that I had quickly framed up a nice wide shot of the scene before joining the rescue effort. When I ran off, the cable spun the camera around and pointed it into the ground :( Austin is the real hero. I just followed his lead. Definitely changed my perspective on life.
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography