Thread: Scarlet W camera for ALL jobs? but... how is focusing for live action?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Scarlet W camera for ALL jobs? but... how is focusing for live action? 
    Hello

I used to own a Red Epic X.. which I sold as I could only use for high end work.. now the Scarlet W seems to have the option to record only to ProRES 422LT which is handy for event work.. BUT how has the focus improved on Scarlet W since the Red Epic x ? Imagine say you want to film a Triathlon and a man is cycling towards you. Is there any sort of face tracking or object tracking option at all?
    This would make it the ALL in one camera in my eyes, not needing both a FS7 and RED for event vs commercials..
    Please let me know your thoughts as I'm strongly considering coming back to RED but I need to know how RUn-and-Gun this camera can be, being able to use the whole sensor for ProRES 422 is amazing..

Jorge

Hi Jorge... RED's not your best choice for focus tracking. The Canon dual pixel is the best I've used with regards to what you're talking about.
    Scarlet-W "Eagle"

I think a Sony FS7 or Canon C-series camera would be more suited to events work but that depends on your needs and what you're ultimately after. I don't think "autofocus" when I think of RED cameras but I do see them being used for events, however, if you need to have really accurate AF to avoid missing shots, then I would look elsewhere at this time. If you can work without that though, then a Scarlet W would be a fantastic and technologically diverse investment.

Senior Member Marcus Friedlander's Avatar
    Another +1 for Canon if you need autofocus tracking features. Their DPAF system is about as good as it gets these days.

RED's are cinema cameras, so they are definitely more suitable for jobs that have a focus puller attached.
    Cheers,

Marcus Ian Friedlander

RED EPIC DRAGON #03179 "Squillium the Dragon"

"Perfection is the goal, excellence is the standard."

+1 For Canon DPAF
    Kookaburra Empire
    Motion Pictures and Video Production
    IMDB // Facebook // Official Site (Under Construction)

RED 6K Weapon MG #0442 "Minerva"

"Are you real? If you can't tell, does it matter?"

the scarlet-w has auto focus. i wouldnt say its the best but the option is there

If you know your lenses well pulling yourself on a shot like this is totally possible, but it's a skill that takes practice and time
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

There's definitely no auto tracking, but I film cycling events almost every week, keeping the athletes in focus is a mix of practicing with your lenses and knowing how athletes behave so you can anticipate the speed you need to pull focus at.

Hi, yes I can do it manually, but looking for something that gives a little less effort for the lower budget long hours event shoots..
    Thanks guys very useful info.. I ended up getting a FS7.. and will get a Scarlet for the commercials/fictional work.
    Canon C200 is amazing.. would be my 1st choice but needed something more popular with the agents in my field. A bit like the Z1 was always being asked for not so long ago..
    Will always have a scarlet for the special ones.. Choosing between Epic X and Scarlet Dragon now lol