Thread: History Channel series shot on Raven using ProRes LT

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 History Channel series shot on Raven using ProRes LT 
    We all want to shoot at least 4K RAW when using our Red cameras, but sometimes that isn't an option. Once Red adopted Pro Res as a record codec, the doors were opened for our small production company to shoot lower budget episodic TV with Red cameras. I won't bore you with the financial constraints, but to do this we have to use ProRes LT as our record codec. I know, I know. It was either that or R3Ds at 22:1 compression. After doing dual record tests of different scenarios, we decided ProRes LT was the better image for our projects. There was significantly more grain in the R3D files compared to the ProRes LT. Since most of our shooting is done under natural lighting conditions we find ourselves shooting at higher ISOs often and grain is already an issue, so this was a no brainer...ProRes LT (RedLogFilm) all the way! I must say, I'm shocked at how well it all worked out and I think the show looks great. Check out the link to the trailer below. "The Hunt For The Zodiac Killer" premieres on History Channel on Tuesday, November 14th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG1JVV0GZiU
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography

Yeah, that's a forklift tattoo. I wasn't always a cinematographer :)

Nice!
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Nice work! Its good to have options!!!

Did you rethink lenses once you decided to go Pro-Res LT?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Michaels View Post
    Nice work! Its good to have options!!!

Did you rethink lenses once you decided to go Pro-Res LT?
    Thanks Peter! I did not re-think the lenses, but not because I didn't want to. There are not a lot of lens options for the type of shooting we do. We don't use shoulder rigs. We hold the camera like a DSLR with the help of a battery belt and lightweight lenses. Since this is not the most stable way of shooting, its imperative that we use lenses with built in stabilizers. My go to lens for this scenario is the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS. You would be surprised at how stable you can get with a good stabilizer and thousands of hours of practice :) Interviews are shot using Sigma Art series lenses.
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography

Yeah, that's a forklift tattoo. I wasn't always a cinematographer :)

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Lealos View Post
    Thanks Peter! I did not re-think the lenses, but not because I didn't want to. There are not a lot of lens options for the type of shooting we do. We don't use shoulder rigs. We hold the camera like a DSLR with the help of a battery belt and lightweight lenses. Since this is not the most stable way of shooting, its imperative that we use lenses with built in stabilizers. My go to lens for this scenario is the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS. You would be surprised at how stable you can get with a good stabilizer and thousands of hours of practice :) Interviews are shot using Sigma Art series lenses.
    Hey Clint very cool, I shoot about 24 hours of hand held a week using an epic-w with a holdfast rig, you should check it out, I have a bag on the other side for extra batts ect

steve

Nice! I'll check it out.
    Keith B. Plummer
    [url]https://www.plumgood.productions
    Zeiss CZ's Zeiss Primes

Trailer looks great, Clint! You're right about the ProRes LT, definitely turned out nice from what we can see.
    Just set it up to be recorded on my DVR.

For those who are wondering it's 9 PM CST / 10 PM EST.
    Brandon Veen | Digital Curator at Hedderich's
    Epic-X Dragon #08127 + Fujifilm GFX50R + Leica BLK360