Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Release of DaVinci Resolve 14.1

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    In this release can you use the IPP2 debayer (with the colour and detail advantages it offeres) but with redlogfilm tonal mapping?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post
    In this release can you use the IPP2 debayer (with the colour and detail advantages it offeres) but with redlogfilm tonal mapping?

Thanks
    Depends.

"Version 3" color science seems to have the new debayer, "Version 2" does not.

Version 3 will let you choose RedLogFilm but it won't let you use a legacy color space. The color appears to be IPP2 Rec709 still; even though it lets you select RedColor or DragonColor, they look no different. If you're trying to use some LUTs that demand legacy color then this won't work. If you're, then you can go ahead and use RedLogFilm with IPP2 Rec709 (or RWG) color, but I have a vague feeling this is an improper technique, as IPP2 color goes hand-in-hand with IPP2 gamma.

"Version 2" color science will let you choose RedLogFilm along with DragonColor or RedColor. This is essentially legacy mode, but the debayer does appear to be the older version. The highlight extension algorithm disappears as well.
    Last edited by Aaron Lochert; 11-13-2017 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    Well, the highlight extension algorithm appears to have made it, as well as the improved demosaic. But there's several issues.

Resolve's IPP2 implementation is applying the output transform after raw development, but before any grading nodes, which is backwards from the proper order of operations. This also means that philmColor LUTs (and other LUTs intended for RWG/Log3G10 input) will not work as intended if used on any node. They must be loaded into the RMD and called upon by the checkbox in the raw tab.

The LUT portion of IPP2 is nothing but an on/off checkbox. Swapping out this LUT in Resolve is impossible, you have to stick with whichever one is loaded into the RMD metadata. So to change out this LUT, you have to open the .r3d in REDCINE-X Pro and then change the LUT there and overwrite the RMD. Cycling through LUTs will be a pain in the ass. And like I said above, you can't use LUTs that assume a RWG input (philmColor) on any node because they will be post-output-transform.

If you're set to Version 3 color science, you can still select all of the other RED color spaces and gammas, even though they don't look any different than Rec709 and clearly aren't actually functioning. You can also change the Contrast/Highlight Rolloff options when doing so and see results on screen. This is going to lead to misinformation and people are going to think they can use "IPP2" with their footage processed to DragonColor2/RedGamma4, I guarantee it.

The Color Space Transform OFX plugin, when changing from RWG/Log3G10 material to Rec709, appears to be different than the official IPP2 transforms and is yielding a darker image.

In Project Settings, setting the input/timeline color space to RWG/Log3G10 and then output color space to Rec709 yields the same darker image that the OFX plugin does. I thought this would be my way around the first problem listed here, but unfortunately the image doesn't match. Also, when the clip settings are set to RWG/Log3g10, the Highlight/Contrast controls don't function, so even if the output transform was correct, I would have to forgo these features.

So back to RWG/Log3g10 development and the RED provided LUTs, for me, it looks like.

At least we got full Monstro support...

\_(ツ)_/
    Ugh. I'm not going to bother downloading 14.1. I'm stunned that BMD could get this so wrong, especially given the lucid explanation by RED about how the IPP2 pipeline actually functions.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Even if there are a few bugs that need to be addressed - it’s great that BM are working so diligently to enhance Resolve!

I also noticed : “Added support for decompression and debayer options for Red Rocket cards”.

Sounds like a step in the right direction for those wishing to edit directly within Resolve.

AJ

I see that this issue persists: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...oard-shortcuts

Since I'm going mad here, and don't get a response either in RU or BMDForum about it, could someone please, please try to re-create it so that I can see if it's for some reason specific to my rig?

All you have to do is enable printer lights and see if the keyboard shortcuts either for Zoom In/Out or Load memory A-H are gone.

Thanks Aaron

I completly understand why Red has specified the order of operations as it has BUT I do have sympathy with BM not having that implementation.

Log3G10 and REDWideGamutRGB are so BIG that some of the Davinci toolset does not function as you would expect with a Log3g10 input.. for example what constitutes the transistion between a highlight, midtone and shadow is diffferent depneding on the container.

Added support for GoPro CineForm as a caching and optimized media format
    +1 (just love good open source)

Downloaded the new version and now it won't open.Windows closes the programme and I can't restore to previous versions.

Just used the troubleshooter and it says it's an incompatible programme.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwan Jones View Post
    Downloaded the new version and now it won't open.Windows closes the programme and I can't restore to previous versions.
    First https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/sup...f11c18d65e55f2

Then decide what to do...