Thread: Tilta Nucleus-M review

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Appreciate you sharing your experiences. Looking at buying one of these for our school. These in-the-field experiences are invaluable. Please keep us updated as the unit becomes a little more broken in (but hopefully not broken!).

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Barkey View Post
    I would love to see how you were able to mount it to a cheesplate! Can you share your setup?
    I'm so sorry I can't give better directions on that. I had an old cheese plate I don't know where it's from or how I got it. Was in the bottom of a bin full of hardware. But the holes on the plate matched the M4 holes on the unit, so I was able to install it.
    Daniel Stilling, DFF (Danish Society of Cinematographers)
    Director Of Photography
    www.danieldp.com

I'd like to get some thoughts on how the Nucleus M stacks up against the DJI Focus?

Just got my tracking #. Whoo! Hoo!. Thanks for the encouraging review.
    Ned Wilson
    IATSE Local 600
    Brooklyn, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Maciejack View Post
    I'd like to get some thoughts on how the Nucleus M stacks up against the DJI Focus?
    Based on Dan's review it's safe to conclude it stomps all over the DJI in terms of feature set and torque. Regarding reliability, let's check back in a few months. I owned the DJI and it started off great. But then after various firmware updates, the motors would constantly fail (went through three) burning out, etc. It got to the point, even if it was in perfect working order, I just couldn't risk it on a paid job. In fact, DJI and B&H no longer list it. The other issue was the torque was piss poor. Good for small or modern primes but just too weak for anything else.
    Ned Wilson
    IATSE Local 600
    Brooklyn, NY

Good to know Ned. I've owned the DJI unit and actually never had a problem with it. Must be one of the lucky ones I guess? I use it on all types of PL lenses, but as an owner/op, it sees our Canon CN-E Primes, Canon 17-120 and Canon 30-300 zoom lenses majority of the time. Again, has worked flawlessly. It's got it's quirks but has never once let me down on a project nor caused any re-takes on a shot as an equipment failure. Never once had the need to service it and it's probably going on year and half worth of use. I did have to alter the motor extension bracket + had some sweet ass cables made from Media Blackout which solved some other bad engineering I/O issues.

I am interested in real world reviews of the Nucleas-M as the cost vs feature set is off the chart on this product. Look forward to more of those...

Thanks!

I also own DJI FF and it's heavily used without major issues. Never let me down.
    But for any case I've ordered Nucleus-M :)

By any chance does the Nucleaus M have programmable presets like other follow focus systems like DJIs or Cinegears that can just click a/b/c/d and adjust to the saved marks? That would make drop pre-order money in heart beat.
    SAMHAIN STUDIOS
    RED CF Weapon Dragon #01389

"The camera...has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

Just got mine and picked up some 18650 batteries and ran it through some tests and it all worked as hoped. The torque is impressive and I would like to see what lenses need the high torque setting. More advanced tutorials would be helpful since there are so many features. I agree that we should let some time pass to check in on long term reliability but build quality is handsome.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyons Collister, ASC View Post
    Just got mine and picked up some 18650 batteries and ran it through some tests and it all worked as hoped. The torque is impressive and I would like to see what lenses need the high torque setting. More advanced tutorials would be helpful since there are so many features. I agree that we should let some time pass to check in on long term reliability but build quality is handsome.
    Hey since you own one, can you save different presets and toggle between them like from a to b? just like a dji ff?
    SAMHAIN STUDIOS
    RED CF Weapon Dragon #01389

"The camera...has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."