Thread: Best microphone to use with the dragon

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Best microphone to use with the dragon 
    Need some advice in the market to get a new microphone, what would be the best microphone that gives you best quality sound with the Red Epic Dragon.
    RED EPIC

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Thurlow View Post
    Need some advice in the market to get a new microphone, what would be the best microphone that gives you best quality sound with the Red Epic Dragon.
    That would depend on what you are trying to capture.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Thurlow View Post

You need a good mic preamp that has mic/line level output to take advantage of the Cmit. The Epic preamps are bad... (and the Weapon's are worst). Using a CMIT on this type of camera is overkill. I'll go with a Sennheiser MK60 (wich is also overkill for that preamp...).

On the Weapon I would use the Sennheiser MKE400. But I shoot double-system recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Rockett View Post
    That would depend on what you are trying to capture.
    I need something to get scratch audio I record clean tracks separately but I'm having trouble getting a scratch track to sync up
    RED EPIC

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post

I don't want to get in a bran war here, but RODE is among some of the lowest quality microphones on the market. I would not recommend it to someone asking what the best microphone is. ; )

Quote Originally Posted by James Falco View Post
    I don't want to get in a bran war here, but RODE is among some of the lowest quality microphones on the market. I would not recommend it to someone asking what the best microphone is. ; )
    I understand but a MiniCmit with a poor Epic preamp is not worth it...

Quote Originally Posted by James Falco View Post
    Now I could certainly be wrong, but I think you are missing the intent of the OP. The OP put a qualifier on the "best mic" ask, where he stipulated " that gives you best quality sound with the Red Epic Dragon". This leads me to believe that the OP is not just looking for what is generally considered to be the best quality mic but rather which mic is best when paired up with RED Epic Dragon given that the camera has terrible pre-amps. I agree with Patrick that putting a CMIT on Epic is a bad idea due to the pre-amps that it has. Just putting a $5,000 mic on there doesn't fix the preamp problem nor would you be properly utilizing the full potential of the mic you suggested. If the OP hasn't invested into something like the Mini Papi then I might suggest looking into an option like that for the pre-amp solution, and then you can debate about which mic is best to connect to it.

I'd also recommend the OP describe what environments he typically works in and will be using the rig in because that could also influence the recommendations he recieves.
    Kookaburra Empire
    Motion Pictures and Video Production
    IMDB // Facebook // Official Site (Under Construction)

RED 6K Weapon MG #0442 "Minerva"

"Are you real? If you can't tell, does it matter?"

^^

Is RED Epic Dragon's mic pre worth a mic at all?

If yes, then why not the CMIT...