Thread: Best Cine-Primes for RAVEN ?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11  
    Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Melbourne AU
    Posts
    1,134
    Lots of people say that the CineAlta set is underrated. Could be worth thinking about? From what I know they're very good.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member Ryan Williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Globe Trottin'
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan_H_Banks View Post
    I'm a big Angeniuex fan and some of their new DP series of zooms have EF mounts I believe. Definitely a higher price-point but I LOVE that glass.

    WHOOPS, you said primes, my bad. I would take the CNE's over CP2's, but that's a matter of personal taste. Not a fan of the XEEN's, still have to check out the Tokina primes. Those might be interesting to look at if they make them in EF (which I think they do).
    I have a set of the Tokina Primes in EF mount so I can confirm they def. come in EF. They also have swappable mounts which was another big selling point for me. I plan to get PL mounts so that when I get back to the civilized world and people want that option I can switch'em over.
    Kookaburra Empire
    Motion Pictures and Video Production
    IMDB // Facebook // Official Site (Under Construction)

    RED 6K Weapon MG #0442 "Minerva"
    ________________________________

    "Are you real? If you can't tell, does it matter?"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Williams View Post
    I have a set of the Tokina Primes in EF mount so I can confirm they def. come in EF. They also have swappable mounts which was another big selling point for me. I plan to get PL mounts so that when I get back to the civilized world and people want that option I can switch'em over.
    Tokina have swappable mounts - thats interesting. Do they have zooms with swappable mounts as well?
    www.cinestill.com
    Raven, 6x Zeiss CP.2, 2x Zeiss zooms, 3x Nikon zooms, Sachtler tripod, Dana Slider, Ezyrig, SD Mix Pre 3, Sprinter Van with lighting kit for hire.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    Lots of people say that the CineAlta set is underrated. Could be worth thinking about? From what I know they're very good.
    They're very good, but PL mount only.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Member Alex Lubensky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Posts
    58
    Yeah, I'm often using cinealta set on my Scarlet. They seem to be PL only, maybe E-mount, but never seen them in EF
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    95
    Are the Xeens just rehoused? I would have thought they are better glass and coatings than the originals. From comparisons, they look to be bang for buck, and depending on the style of the film they could be better than going with a "name".

    All types of lenses are great. Just depends on the shooting style and content.

    The onset difference between proper cine housing and "cinemods" is pretty big. Being able to switch out a lens without adjusting the accompanying accessories will make day to day easier. But, a good cinemod set is not that bad on a budget.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Senior Member Ryan Williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Globe Trottin'
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Williams View Post
    Tokina have swappable mounts - thats interesting. Do they have zooms with swappable mounts as well?
    Richard,

    1. You got a solid last name mate. :) 2. I'm not sure about the zooms from Tokina as I've not purchased any. I only bought the primes. Sorry I can't be of any further help on the zoom front! Maybe take a look at the Tokina Vista GB and see who bought one of their zooms and ask them. That and/or talk to Duclos. They'd be able to help you out as well.
    Kookaburra Empire
    Motion Pictures and Video Production
    IMDB // Facebook // Official Site (Under Construction)

    RED 6K Weapon MG #0442 "Minerva"
    ________________________________

    "Are you real? If you can't tell, does it matter?"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Member Alex Lubensky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by James Sielaff View Post
    Are the Xeens just rehoused? I would have thought they are better glass and coatings than the originals. From comparisons, they look to be bang for buck, and depending on the style of the film they could be better than going with a "name".

    All types of lenses are great. Just depends on the shooting style and content.

    The onset difference between proper cine housing and "cinemods" is pretty big. Being able to switch out a lens without adjusting the accompanying accessories will make day to day easier. But, a good cinemod set is not that bad on a budget.
    They use the same optical schemes, this means they suffer the same problems in terms of image geometry. For me it's the first thing in lenses. Go check tests, there are some side by sides. They are the same.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    I read Zeiss Otus lenses are really worth looking into. Duclos cine-mod them as well.

    They are still lenses, but have a image quality up against, was it the Zeiss master primes?

    I think I was going to invest in those as the next set as they have electric iris for remote operation which is really one of the main benifits of EF lens systems.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts