Thread: Best Cine-Primes for RAVEN ?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Best Cine-Primes for RAVEN ? 
    Hey guys,

Would love some advice on which cine-primes you would recommend purchasing with the RAVEN in mind? Iv shot a bit on the Canon CN-24 & 50 which seem amazing but if theres something out there better or you have experienced good results with please let me know :)

Shot

Steven

There's not too many options for Raven due to EF-Mount limitation. You tend to choose from Zeiss Compact Prime line, Sigma ART line in cinema-housing, Tokina, Schneider Xenon or XENAR III, Canon CN line, and among re-housed options as Veydra, Prime Circle, SLR Magic and others.

I'm not concidering any of Rokinon or Xeen as a valuable option.

Zeiss are claimed to have an ability to change the mount on the lens, which might be good if you're planning on upgrading to some PL-Mount camera later.

As of the price range - many aim at .CP2 pricing, so kinda the same. Only Schneider seem to be far more valuable in price, but i would never buy into it because it's not a PL-Mount - garbage for a rental in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lubensky View Post
    I'm not concidering any of Rokinon or Xeen as a valuable option.
    Why don't you like the XEENs? I've shot with them a few times on some lower budget stuff and was pretty impressed.
    Sean Finnegan
    Producer + Cinematographer @ IGN.com
    Twitter | Instagram | IMDB
    RED RAVEN #178

Quote Originally Posted by Sean R. Finnegan View Post
    Why don't you like the XEENs? I've shot with them a few times on some lower budget stuff and was pretty impressed.
    I like the bokeh, but wide open, it gets bad CA. For the price though, getting full Cine mechanics, they are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean R. Finnegan View Post
    I just don't like Rokinon glass at all. It performs poorly as a glass. As a Rokinon - they might be an option as a lens for <500$, but paying >2000$ for a decent housing and a crappy glass inside is insane.

It's exact same glass in original Rokinons and Xeens. Yes, they tweaked some things here and there, but if you watch side by side comparisons, lenses perform the same in terms of image geometry they produce. For me it's the Rokinons weak spot.
    Last edited by Alex Lubensky; 10-31-2017 at 10:50 AM.

I'd think the Sigma 18-35 T2 would be a no-brainer on Raven.
    a.k.a. Lochness Digital

I have 6x Carl Zeiss CP.2
    18mm, 21mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm
    Whats great about CP.2 is you can change the mounts to PL - or various other mounts so you will not be limited in the future if you upgrade.
    Does Cape Town have a lens rental house?
    I live in an area where there is no rental house so I regularly rent out my lenses with a PL mount but obviously change back to EF to use on the Raven.
    The benefit of buying a PL mounted Lens is that it can be rented fairly easily as they tend to be less common than EF mounted lenses.
    I also have a Contax Zeiss 28 - 85 zoom that I have put a Leitax EF mount on. A modest priced lens that has a great range and that classic Zeiss look.
    I also have 80-200 mm Contax Zeiss zoom.
    cheers Richard
    www.cinestill.com
    Raven, 6x Zeiss CP.2, 2x Zeiss zooms, 3x Nikon zooms, Sachtler tripod, Dana Slider, Ezyrig, SD Mix Pre 3, Sprinter Van with lighting kit for hire.

I'm a big Angeniuex fan and some of their new DP series of zooms have EF mounts I believe. Definitely a higher price-point but I LOVE that glass.

WHOOPS, you said primes, my bad. I would take the CNE's over CP2's, but that's a matter of personal taste. Not a fan of the XEEN's, still have to check out the Tokina primes. Those might be interesting to look at if they make them in EF (which I think they do).
    Last edited by Brendan_H_Banks; 11-01-2017 at 09:48 AM.
    Brendan H. Banks
    Cinematographer
    Epic-W #796

I'm really liking the Sigma Art Lenses. I had to go a little cheaper after the big Scarlet purchase and I was steered toward the Sigma. Very nice. I have the 50 and the 85. I'm also a Leica guy, so my next task is to get Leica glass on this camera.

Tokina review: http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/2...18mm-nab-2017/

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan_H_Banks View Post
    I'm a big Angeniuex fan and some of their new DP series of zooms have EF mounts I believe. Definitely a higher price-point but I LOVE that glass.

WHOOPS, you said primes, my bad. I would take the CNE's over CP2's, but that's a matter of personal taste. Not a fan of the XEEN's, still have to check out the Tokina primes. Those might be interesting to look at if they make them in EF (which I think they do).