Thread: Wow! New iMac PRO Demo 8k Unrendered NEW FCPX 10.4 w Color Wheel, 360 editing,

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    iMac Pro is a bit like the iPhone X, at the time of purchase it's expensive but okay or even very good......

The biggest problem with is FCPX is that once using it you can't learn working with an other NLE. When using PP you can learn Vegas, Edius, Davinci, etc... this however is not possible with FCPX.
    Same is true for Mac OS, ones using it you will never be able to learn an other operating system.
    I don't feel that way at all. I use Avid, FCPX, Premiere, and Resolve based on what type of project I'm doing.

As for operating system, doesn't matter which one once I'm inside the app. Avid is just about the same on either platform. Premiere has its quirks on a Mac but essentially the same. Resolve is essentially the same.
    Steve Sherrick

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    iMac Pro is a bit like the iPhone X, at the time of purchase it's expensive but okay or even very good......

The biggest problem with is FCPX is that once using it you can't learn working with an other NLE. When using PP you can learn Vegas, Edius, Davinci, etc... this however is not possible with FCPX.
    Same is true for Mac OS, ones using it you will never be able to learn an other operating system.
    I use FCPX pretty much exclusively for editing. But, I was keen to learn the basics of color grading with a hands-on tutorial and the one I found was on Resolve. I had zero problems learning Resolve. If you can't move back and forth between these programs I'd suggest you might be brain dead.

EDIT: I misspoke - I absolutely use only FCPX for editing. I was however, once upon a time, certified by Apple on legacy FCP, which I abandoned immediately when FCPX was introduced and never looked back,
    Last edited by Terry VerHaar; 10-31-2017 at 09:49 AM.
    Scarlet Dragon
    Scarlet-W

Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
    I use FCPX pretty much exclusively for editing. Bit, I was keen to learn the basics of color grading with a hands-on tutorial and the one I found was on Resolve. I had zero problems learning Resolve. If you can't move back and forth between these programs I'd suggest you might be brain dead.
    To be fair to Misha though, FCPX is definitely different from the others. And it does take some time to get around the way it wants to work when you come from other NLEs, and I can imagine that if you start out on FCPX, there will be an adjustment going to others. I was just saying that it's possible to work with all of them once you accept FCPX way of working. It took me a good year to accept it.
    Steve Sherrick

I would venture a guess that if you started on FCP X and then tried something else the experience of something else would be frustrating from an editing perspective. Even jumping back to FCP 7 momentarily is frustrating.

David

pS: but that is not really what the thread is about. It's about making editing even easier again, but putting a powerful computing device into a single screen iMac computing platform
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake

I'm very impressed by the strides FCPX is making for optimization. It can make a lot of sense for editors (especially if they haven't already learned on other systems).
    I've been giving it a try recently and will say there things that impress me about it. But having come from FCP7 and Premiere, the magnetic timeline can be a bit confounding. Let's not call each other names or take into question individuals intelligence.
    With that said, I think its much easier coming from FCPX, than coming to FCPX. As it definitely has its own perspective on NLE layout/functionality.

Hopefully these improvements will kick other NLE's into optimizing their performance better as well. Competition can only mean progress and improvements for everyone.
    EPIC-W #8574 ROCKWELL
    Mac House Productions

Quote Originally Posted by Justen Nguyen View Post
    Hopefully these improvements will kick other NLE's into optimizing their performance better as well. Competition can only mean progress and improvements for everyone.
    + 1

FCPX right now is excelent. The only other editor I would look into is Resolve. Premiere? No thanks. Can’t wait for 10.4!
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
    Trolls are everywhere!

With 2 million FCPX seats. I think the trolls are in the minority. LOL
    Seats or Active users? Not trying to be snarky, just saying...I know a bunch of people that bought it but don't use it. Just kind of a just in case someone brings them a FCPX project thing.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

And then there’s those who bought it and use it on multiple systems since Apple doesn’t track individual installations. Or at least they dont’ in any way that effects usage. And they even allow it to be shared amongst family sharing users too.

There are a lot of things about FCPX that are great. And a lot of things that need work still. ...Pretty much the same as every other NLE out there. I know the one thing Premiere does these days that FCPX doesn’t do is crash every 10 minutes. Ha! OK, it’s not that bad for most users, especially if you use hardware off their approved list. That said, FCPX is an incredible value and Adobe really needs some competition and humility right now.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Yes, there is a slight learning curve and paradigm shift, but once you learn FCPX, you won't go back. In my Studio I have converted all my editors from Premiere to FCPX and now they happily use it on all there personal projects. It's faster, much more stable, and allows you to work instantly with different codecs on same timeline NO RENDERING. That speaks volumes. Once you learn it, you instantly realize the advantages and superiority of the new editing paradign. The one time payment makes it a steal of deal, and i have it installed legally on over 8 macs (MacBook pros, iMacs, and mac pros)... my entire studio.
    www.KaonMultimedia.com
    Director / Producer