Thread: A big thanks to Red for helping our new car film

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 A big thanks to Red for helping our new car film 
    Hi All,

To be honest I've always tiptoed around that sometimes slightly overzealous Red-love that pops up on Reduser but having been a member of this community for around 5 years or so I've just had the first instance where I have asked for and received help that has gone way above and beyond any other company in this arena and didn't know where else to say thank you properly.

I'm working on a pilot for a series of car films/docs that was originally all Arri but then at the last minute I managed to switch them over to Red for proper 4k acquisition. Budgets were always going to be tight for the pilot but with my Scarlet-W and rented Epic Dragon we got through the build section of the show (doing unspeakable things to a 1 of a kind Porsche GT2 in the process) and then it was on to the track/road/testing segments of the shoot. I had spoken to Jarred briefly about the project when I was looking to see if Red might be in a position to help us out with a loaner camera or two but this was in the middle of both trade show organisation AND shortly before the unveiling of Monstro so understandably everyone was slammed with work. Jarred put me in touch with Michael and conversations started.

Then my hitherto rock-solid Scarlet-W went down with a hardware fault just before I was due to shoot out of a helicopter with it - which was devastating. 4 days later Red UK had lent me 2 x Weapon kits and my Scarlet was in for repair. During that time we have shot on race tracks and country roads in a way we'd never ever have been able to do without their intervention. Furthermore, speaking to Jordan in repairs and explaining how time sensitive the situation was he managed to push through the repair of my Scarlet-W so that at no time are we going to be without cameras.

We have two pickup shoots next week, horrible British weather-permitting, and then we move onto post. I can't for certain at this stage how great the film will be but I can hand on heart say I've never seen a car show that looked like this. It has a unique aesthetic and unique tone and that is in massive part down to our camera choice and subsequently to the assistance Red provided us to help us get over the line.

So this is just a little chance for me to do a shout out to everyone I have been involved with from Red during this production - on both sides of the Atlantic.

Jarred Land
    Michael Keegan
    Madison Shaffer
    Ivan Kadlec
    Jordan at Red UK Repairs

You have been absolute rock stars. Thank you so much.

And Graeme Natress and his team deserves a huge shout out because every time a Producer has been on my shoulder looking at footage he has done so with a smile and a reassuring pat on the back, instead of the 'other look'. :)

As soon as we get commissioned I'll be looking into upgrading my trusted Scarlet-W and hopefully have Red do to it what we did to this Porsche.

Some super quick screengrabs with 10 second grades. Scarlet-W, Epic Dragon and Weapon. Leica Summicron Cines. IPP2 workflow. Very little done to them so far - mostly a primary adjustment dialling out ND tints. Possibly some of Phil's 'Crane' applied in there too.

Untitled_1.18.2 by Ben Scott, on Flickr

A004_C009_0926BD by Ben Scott, on Flickr

Untitled_1.97.1 by Ben Scott, on Flickr

Untitled_1.12.1 by Ben Scott, on Flickr

Untitled_1.3.1 by Ben Scott, on Flickr

Untitled_1.8.1 by Ben Scott, on Flickr

Untitled_1.4.1 by Ben Scott, on Flickr

Untitled_1.156.1 by Ben Scott, on Flickr

Untitled_1.82.1 by Ben Scott, on Flickr

A015_C001_1004EW by Ben Scott, on Flickr

C003_C006_1019LS by Ben Scott, on Flickr
    Last edited by Ben Scott; 10-28-2017 at 09:27 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

2018 Reel

Website
    Instagram

Congrats!
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Thanks fella. Still managed to sneak a Contax 80-200 in for the passing shots :)

2018 Reel

Website
    Instagram

Good to hear how RED came through for you. Really great frames as well! I really like the frame of the car pulling in, "untitled 1.8.1"

Thanks Teddy.

2018 Reel

Website
    Instagram

Looks great !

Can you talk about the lighting and how you dealt with it on such a shoot?

Considering it's a doc. I'm assuming light kits/setups were minimal

Thanks Elias. Appreciate it.

Our main ‘build’ garage we had 8 Kino Celeb LED 250s where the strip lights usually went, wired to a board so I could dim sections we weren’t filming in to have a bit more contrast and shadow. That was basically the entirety of our lighting budget gone and so On the floor all we had was an Aputure LS1 panel with soft box and an Aputure 120D with Octodome.

Luckily I was hoping for a moodier lower key aesthetic compared to most car shows so it worked in our favour.

2018 Reel

Website
    Instagram

Looks good.

It's true, when RED steps into help it's not an exaggeration and I am glad you got to experience it and share. People do find it hard to believe because it is so rare these days.

David
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake

Absolutely. Having had dealings with all the big companies in the last few years it's been fantastic to see first-hand how much Red genuinely give a shit and want you to do well. Especially when I'm not a Bay or Fincher or someone with a high profile.

I've officially finally drunken the Kool-Aid :)

2018 Reel

Website
    Instagram

Ben,

What flavor is it? Grape? Cherry? :P

Some great looking stills. Nice job mate!
    Kookaburra Empire
    Motion Pictures and Video Production
    Official Site // Facebook // IMDB

RED 6K Weapon MG #0442 "Minerva"

"Are you real? If you can't tell, does it matter?"