Thread: CineForm Intermediate Codec is from now on Open Source

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 CineForm Intermediate Codec is from now on Open Source 
    It's back in a good way.
    A wavelet intermediate codec.
    https://github.com/gopro/cineform-sdk

Let's hope all NLE's are going to support it.

YES! Only problem with codecs is that it takes a very long time for things to start using it (look at H.265 / x.265 for the most recent example). I would love for a camera that shoots CineForm RAW, perhaps an external recorder, but that might be awhile til that happens / supported.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Montville View Post
    YES! Only problem with codecs is that it takes a very long time for things to start using it (look at H.265 / x.265 for the most recent example). I would love for a camera that shoots CineForm RAW, perhaps an external recorder, but that might be awhile til that happens / supported.
    The biggest bottle neck is gone now it's open source. HVEC suffered a lot from license fees.

The biggest advantages of Cineform over ProRes an DNxHx are: Open Source, lower on computer resources(lighter), the higher the resolution the better the compression.
    Read a nice article on Slashcam.de https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Ratg...ich.html#Was_s just google translate it in your own language.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Montville View Post
    The SI 2K did over 10 years ago. The Kinefinity did. There was I think at least one recorder. Even I could have got a license.

The raw version is a $20 license, and I imagine the official standard that replaced it might be better to use it's raw under license.

There has been app support fir years, including Vegas.

But you are welcome to make an universal codec out if it for android or iPhone, so that camera apps can support it as an available codec.
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

-Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.
    -Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.