Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Non touch LCD monitor and EPIC-W camera configuration

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Foolcontrol is one option. You can control everything on the camera via the Sidekick, which is why it exists. It's pretty much a fundamental piece of kit.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks everyone for your input. Decided to go for a second monitor ( 4.7" ) just in case the main monitor fails. Sidekick is a good option, but DPs want only RED touch monitors.

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald MJ Anderson View Post
    Is your wifi turned on in the camera settings before you shipped your monitors away? I dont know of any way to activate the wifi without another control source so I leave the camera wifi on just in case my touch monitor dies.

If its not on you`ll need to borrow a touch and then you can use foolcontrol.
    Hi Donald
    FWIW You can create a preset with wifi settings. save it on your computer within a FORCE_PRESET folder and it will re-enable your wifi with same settings without a touch...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bai View Post
    I set my new iPhone on top of the camera itself. On the fans, to a camera it has connected to in the past. Doing all normal troubleshoot ideas nothing would connect or happen...
    Hi Matt
    With most radio systems it is actually not a good thing to be too close, give it a foot or two.
    If you wish to troubleshoot your camera / wifi setup I can probably help beyond the obvious stuff posted in this pdf :
    foolcolor.net/tips.pdf
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish twitter vimeo facebook instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Manoj R C View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input. Decided to go for a second monitor ( 4.7" ) just in case the main monitor fails. Sidekick is a good option, but DPs want only RED touch monitors.
    I think those DPs have never worked in cold weather, I mean really cold (below 0 degree Celsius). The sidekick is the only option you can operate the camera with gloves on. I would pick sidekick and external monitor over Red Touch anytime. Touch is cool, but not when you operate in cold weather.

And foolcontrol is not reliable either in cold weather. A couple of weeks ago, I shot a commercial on a glacier at 3600m altitude and minus 8 degree Celsius. Foolcontrol did not work, respectively my iPhone did not react to touch. Very sluggish and not responsive at all. After a few attempts, I just quit and switched back to old school using sidekick.

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Christen View Post
    I think those DPs have never worked in cold weather, I mean really cold (below 0 degree Celsius). The sidekick is the only option you can operate the camera with gloves on. I would pick sidekick and external monitor over Red Touch anytime. Touch is cool, but not when you operate in cold weather.

And foolcontrol is not reliable either in cold weather. A couple of weeks ago, I shot a commercial on a glacier at 3600m altitude and minus 8 degree Celsius. Foolcontrol did not work, respectively my iPhone did not react to touch. Very sluggish and not responsive at all. After a few attempts, I just quit and switched back to old school using sidekick.
    Even outside of really cold weather, the sidekick is huge. Sometimes I'll get touch issues or humidity issues which will halt proper use of the touch. Plus scrolling through really long menus is great. I honestly am not sure how I would get by with the cam without the sidekick (or side handle for those who dig that way of having more control).
    Brendan H. Banks
    Cinematographer
    Epic-W #796

So no one knows if there is a way to use the Red DSMC2 Side Handle and have the selections and menus show up on an external monitor on the overlay?

7.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher S Johnson View Post
    So no one knows if there is a way to use the Red DSMC2 Side Handle and have the selections and menus show up on an external monitor on the overlay?
    Yes, you can do this. If it is an external HDMI monitor it will work right out of the box. Simply press the MENU button on the side handle to bring up the top and bottom bars which are set to auto hide by default.

If you have an external HDSDI monitor there is some setup you need to do first since HDSDI is set to clean by default. There are presets you get from th downloads page that let you set this up.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Lillehaugen View Post
    Yes, you can do this. If it is an external HDMI monitor it will work right out of the box. Simply press the MENU button on the side handle to bring up the top and bottom bars which are set to auto hide by default.

If you have an external HDSDI monitor there is some setup you need to do first since HDSDI is set to clean by default. There are presets you get from th downloads page that let you set this up.
    Thanks so much!

Senior Member Donald MJ Anderson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    Hi Donald
    FWIW You can create a preset with wifi settings. save it on your computer within a FORCE_PRESET folder and it will re-enable your wifi with same settings without a touch...
    Thanks for that!
    Red One #3**
    Epic-W