Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Happy 10th Anniversary RED!

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Happy 10th Anniversary RED! 
    Okay, so RED has been around for more than 10 years and I've known Jarred for who knows how long before that thanks to DVXUser. It's not really their anniversary. But for me it's a special day, because it was 10 years ago today that I picked up my original RED ONE camera.

Things were a lot different then - both for RED as a company and for the state of filmmaking technology in general; there was no accessible camera on the market doing 4K and capturing your vision with 35mm depth of field meant shooting on 35mm film. Canon's 5D Mark II wouldn't be released for more than a year and there were a lot of people in the industry who called even the idea of RED's ambitions a "scam."

I didn't know of Jim before RED - certainly I was familiar with Oakley but wasn't plugged into their history - so I really had nothing to base my trust on with this man or his company back in 2006 when I handed over $1,000 for a spot in line. Somehow, though, I knew. I could tell through reading his message board posts that there was sincerity in his vision. We were all tired of waiting for the "big guys" to dribble out advancements in technology while keeping the highest end image acquisition capability in the hands of the elite few (mostly the studios). Jim spelled it out plainly: resolution mattered - 1080p was just simply not enough. Obsolesce obsolete should the norm, not the exception. And quality image capturing tools should be accessible to as many people as possible.

Sure, it was a bit of a leap of faith, but if RED hadn't come along who knows how far behind the curve of progression we would all be today.

I don't have to list all of the accomplishments RED has achieved over the last decade... most people here are familiar with most of that stuff. But making the decision to jump aboard the RED train when most of the world was still calling it a joke netted me more than just first crack at the world's best camera. It brought me into a community where I have met some of the most amazing individuals I have ever known. Passionate artists who are driving the industry forward every day.

I am so grateful for RED; for Jim, for Jarred, for Deanan and Graeme and Matt and Kelly... for pushing the envelope and never taking "no" for an answer. I have never been more excited about a camera than the day I picked up my RED One, and not just because of the "specs," but because of everything it represented. Looking back 10 years later, it holds even more significance for me today.

I'm a lot more quiet on the forums these days than back in 2007; I'm mostly focused on personal work and letting the tools do their job. But I am as proud as ever to be one of those first 100 supporters - one of the first to believe in RED when few others did. It's amazing what the company has grown into, and I can't wait to see where things will be in another ten years. Thank you for one amazing decade.

I'll leave everyone with some fun bits of RED history from "RED DAY" in 2007: our personalized notebooks from the warehouse meet up, some original RED ONE stickers and trinkets, the seal from my original RED ONE box personalized with serial #79, and an original RED ONE brochure parts list.
    Attached Images

That battery charger tho ;-)

-Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

Wow!

Ten years.
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake

4.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #4  
    Awesome post, man! Reading the agenda takes me right down memory lane!

It's been a great ten years!

:)
    Regards,
    Martin Stevens

President and Founder of Glidecam Industries, Inc.
    Producer and Director at Metaphoric Pictures Corporation.

So glad to be part of it.
    Epic Forged Monstro (Camera 101)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/russfill/

Nearly feels like it's gone by in the blink of an eye. Great post man.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Scarlet-W #810

Great memories and an other decade gone in a flash!

At list this time some of the memories where recorded in full 4k+ glory :)

Early DVX User Jarred in slomo ;-)

-Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com