Thread: Increased grain in the gray aria of the picture while shooting with iso800

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Increased grain in the gray aria of the picture while shooting with iso800 
    Anyone else experienced increased grain (noise) in the gray aria of the picture while shooting with iso800?
    the camera is epic w helium with the new v7.0.0 firmware
    The calibration (black shading) was done before the shooting. I'm aware of the new iso calibration that it was done with the new build and that there is an option to go back to the old one.

are you comparing iso 800 to iso 800?
    if so thats your problem...read the document on Red site that explains iso calibration.
    www.digitalfx.tv

Twitter
    Instagram

RED One #83
    RED CF Monstro 8K VV
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium

Thank you Greg I have read the document about the new iso calibration before posting here and there is not a single word about the increased grain. :) So the question is: have you or have you not experienced increased grain?

Was your camera up to proper operating temp? Green T/E values? I’d not, that’s your problem.

Make sure you balckshading calibration is done when the sensor has reached its operating temp. I typically run hotter balckshades, with a target temp of 44 degrees at various frame rates via manual black shades.

Also, try and get in the habit of exposing to the right as much as possible and don’t use ISO as an exposure adjustment.
    Chris McKechnie
    Director of Photography
    Email - redepicguy@gmail.com
    Reel - https://vimeo.com/314919326

Quote Originally Posted by Andrej Lembanov View Post
    Anyone else experienced increased grain (noise) in the gray aria of the picture while shooting with iso800?
    the camera is epic w helium with the new v7.0.0 firmware
    The calibration (black shading) was done before the shooting. I'm aware of the new iso calibration that it was done with the new build and that there is an option to go back to the old one.
    What GIO scope value is this gray area you are speaking about? 11 (Middle-tone gray)? Or something else?
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Regardless of ISO numbers, are you comparing the same shot with the same lighting, aperture, and shutter angle? Or are you exposing a shot by eye on the monitor?

New ISO is a stop brighter than old ISO. If you are exposing by eye, you will underexpose the shot by a stop from what you would have done prior.

Comparing ISO 800 to 800 is the wrong move. Use 400 now. It's the same as 800 was. If you're seeing more noise at 400 now than previously at 800, THEN there's something wrong.

And another tip for curbing noise (in my experience): black shade your camera manually at 44C and use the standard OLPF.

Post an R3D for the best and fastest response to your question
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake

You are now seeing what 1600 was like when you shoot at 800 monitor-wise
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM