Thread: 2017/2018 someone please kill teal and orange!

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Stevens View Post
    I'm with 100%, oh, no, I'm only with you 50%. And, here's why.
    Yes, to the destruction of TEAL, but I love ORANGE and my CTO or CTS filters are still used quite often.

Teal needs to go back to being CTB. :)
    Yeah, but that way you generally and optically tone the image.

This unappealing effect typically arises from secondaries and extractions within the frame combined with over-enhancement.

Since everyone and their brother has purchased and used a Teal and Orange LUT being sold to them as a "hollywood look" it's penetrated colorspace in film.

It needs to go away. Yesterday.

There are other pallets, other looks.

David
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake

Speaking of Teal/Orange, has anyone else seen the original Blade Runner in 4K? The film has a new look way different than the original palette used back then.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Zananiri View Post
    HBO showed a "restored" version of the Godfather Epic with an Orange/Teal grade. Gordon Willis must be turning in his grave. Many classics have actually been restored with a new Orange/Teal grade including The Red Shoes.
    It's the way that the DP would have wanted it, had he had access to modern sensibilities. I think that all old films should be modified so that every shot has narrow DOF. I mean, previous generations weren't lucky enough to have FULL FRAME photographic cameras - the best kind, obviously - with video modes. /sarc
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Here's why TEAL needs to be abolished...

https://www.google.com/search?q=teal...=1304&bih=1025
    Regards,
    Martin Stevens

President and Founder of Glidecam Industries, Inc.
    Producer and Director at Metaphoric Pictures Corporation.

New series by the BBC had me thinking just this, the first episode has a very heavy grade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq4NkrHD_GE - trailer

Totally missed the SARC part. My bad. I apologize.

David
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake

The God Father in orange/teal, fuck that sucks! Good God what is happening to the movies. I work in them, and make a few now and then, yet I just can't go to the cinema anymore. There are notable exceptions of course, but most of the time I cannot remember the plot after I leave the cinema. Of course dementia could be setting in.......

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Teal/orange is the look for those who don't have the creative eye to work with colors. It's a slap on look to make things pop that came out of how some film stocks looked, but amplified by people who don't know what they're doing, creating a synthetic look that looks normal only to the color blind. There's no subtleness, there's no harmony and there are thousands of LUTs based on it.

Well, maybe I'll go and do some teal/orange LUTs, market them with cool names like "Cinema Prime Look" or "Professional Cinema LUTs for professional work by professionals who knows they are professionals" and sell them for a shitload of cash, maybe in bitcoins, and then retreat to a fine retirement. Since it seems that if you do anything like that, all the people who are desperate to go through shortcuts will pay a lot of money just to be able to slap on something and call it a day. Feels like easy money to be made here... I change my mind, please teal/orange, stay! Keep making young new filmmakers confused and spend all their money on LUTs!
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Im the only one that likes it?

Think it looks great. Sure not on anything but eliminating some colors and bring up others usually works quite well if done right and teal & orange is a good combo I think. Sure easy to fall into overdoing colors and make things look unatural, but I rater see some strive towards making things look better than real than just get same "out trough a window" look.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro