Thread: 2017/2018 someone please kill teal and orange!

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Stevens View Post
    I'm with 100%, oh, no, I'm only with you 50%. And, here's why.
    Yes, to the destruction of TEAL, but I love ORANGE and my CTO or CTS filters are still used quite often.

Teal needs to go back to being CTB. :)

THIS �� !! I love color separation especially warm skin tones and cool backgrounds.
    But the teal orange thing is WAY, WAY over done and when it's done it's TOO DAMN HEAVY !

I've done a few teal orange colorgrades recently that where very subtle and looked quite nice,
    but the key was they where subtle!

Martin hits it!
    ---------------------------
    Curtis Boggs
    www.cboggs.com

Cinematographer-DP-Colorist
    Epic-W 8k (Spanky)
    Komodo 6k (baby)
    Sigma Cinema zoom set
    Leica-R Cine mod prime set
    Various other strange or vintage lenses

-Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

Are we talking about First They Killed My Father? I just scrubbed through it and I'm not seeing anything even remotely offensive as far as the grade goes.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    I hate teal/orange... HATE

Strong word, but every time I see it I feel that a cinematographer's soul died somewhere. I'm more on Deakins side in this. Shoot and enhance what you shot. He doesn't do anything more advanced than a film lab if he doesn't need to (problems etc.). Teal/orange also creates those awful bridge-points between teal and orange where it looks like a bit-error in colors. Hate it, all of it.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    What's worse than teal & orange is that it doesn't sell the movie. I might understand if it was done to significantly boost sales. But it doesn't. It's just computer wanking. I would say the same about Film Convert. It's like people don't realize that there are grades between On and Off.

A lot of commercial photographers think that Photoshop is somehow a compulsory step between taking the photo and publishing it. Most of it is actually disgusting. The rest is unnecessary. Damn, these tools are supposed to rescue photos or tidy them up, not *fuck* them up.

I prefer to let the light do the talking.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    What's worse than teal & orange is that it doesn't sell the movie. I might understand if it was done to significantly boost sales. But it doesn't. It's just computer wanking. I would say the same about Film Convert. It's like people don't realize that there are grades between On and Off.
    I agree with you in that I think the grade has to enhance the story, not get in your face and become way over-the-top and too noticeable.

I can and have used orange & teal (with 4 or 5 different strategies), but I'm usually able to convince the client to use it only in small doses and dial it back so that it's not too intrusive. I think a strong look like that is more powerful when the greater part of the movie goes in a normal direction. Two solid hours of orange & teal are too much of a visual assault to me.

I get that it's often a DP/director decision and not left up to the colorist & post crew. They want what they want.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Dunkerke was also full of it. Boring.

HBO showed a "restored" version of the Godfather Epic with an Orange/Teal grade. Gordon Willis must be turning in his grave. Many classics have actually been restored with a new Orange/Teal grade including The Red Shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    Are we talking about First They Killed My Father? I just scrubbed through it and I'm not seeing anything even remotely offensive as far as the grade goes.
    In some early flashback scenes and then it levelled out. Overall a Nice looking film (maybe too nice) shot on F55.
    Last edited by David Battistella; 10-17-2017 at 04:26 AM.
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake