Thread: Shoulder rig question

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Shoulder rig question 
    So I thought I'd picked up a bit of a last minute ebay bargain shoulder rig / matte box / follow focus combo for my raven. I should have really done my research as seems to be a dslr red rocket micro kit and the raven is far too tall. Any ideas on what I would need to convert this to work with the raven? Cheapest way possible if it is possible at all??? Help!!!

app.frame.io/f/W3KLs3B1
    Last edited by Marc Hutchings; 10-14-2017 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Hutchings View Post
    So I thought I'd picked up a bit of a last minute ebay bargain shoulder rig / matte box / follow focus combo for my raven. I should have really done my research as seems to be a dslr red rocket micro kit and the raven is far too tall. Any ideas on what I would need to convert this to work with the raven? Cheapest way possible if it is possible at all??? Help!!!

app.frame.io/f/W3KLs3B1
    I would suggest you have a look at Small Rig. Seems well made and very reasonable priced.
    You could get a DSMC2 base plate with 15mm rod mounts at the front and back of the base plate.
    This would allow you to have the follow focus and matt box at the correct height.
    You could then use the 15mm rod holders at the back to mount your shoulder mount.
    you may want to buy additional rods or cut yours down?
    I hope this makes sense?
    www.cinestill.com
    Raven, 6x Zeiss CP.2, 2x Zeiss zooms, 3x Nikon zooms, Sachtler tripod, Dana Slider, Ezyrig, SD Mix Pre 3, Sprinter Van with lighting kit for hire.

If you are looking for a budget rig, the Smallrig stuff is pretty good. It is about as good as Wooden Camera/zacuto/RRM/Gini, but the quality is not as good as Arri or Vocas.

Only thing, is shipping for Small Rig can take a long time, or be expensive, as it often ships from China, so make sure on delivery times or if it is available locally.

Handheld rigs and base plates Id say Wooden Camera. small Rig stuff Isnt bad.

Matte/Ff Id always go with Arri no matter what you think you might save elsewhere. Youll eventually by Arri so why not now?
    Red Monstro 8k VV, Alexa Minis, Kowa ANA, Kowa Evolution ANA, Lomo Round front, Lomo Square Fronts, Canon K35, TLS Panchros, Angie Zooms, and all the support to go with.

smallrig.com works good. Have stuff for my Raven and A6300. Shipping has been fast, last time was a few weeks ago with a week of holiday in China. When it was picked up by FedEx it took 3 days to Abu Dhabi. Quality and finish is very good.

I interpreted your post as a cry for help in tweaking that rig to fit. If so...

Sorry to say, it doesn't look good. From the photo it doesn't look like there is very much adjustability built into it. There are very specific industry standards for heights of matte box with certain set-ups (15mm vs. 19mm rod systems, etc.). No matter what you do, it doesn't look like you have much hope getting the lens lined up with the matte box. And that's just one of the issues.

Return it, if you can, or sell it to some DSLR shooter.

Start over and pay close attention. DO a lot of research and, hate to say it - because I made this mistake - don't think you are saving money by buying cheap. It almost never works out that way.

Good luck in your learning journey!
    Scarlet Dragon #01474, "ISABELLA"
    Scarlet-W in transit!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Hutchings View Post

app.frame.io/f/W3KLs3B1
    I just shot with someone who had what looked like this exact rig. We couldn't get it going with a C300, let alone a raven. Echoing what others just wrote, it would be tough to make it work, unless you want a shoulder rig that's mainly comprised of gaff tape.

I would disagree.
    You can use all of the important stuff in this rig.
    You can use;
    1. matt box
    2. follow focus
    3. shoulder mount
    4. rails

From what I see the only thing you can't use is the camera mount base plate.
    You need to buy a camera base plate that will put your rods at the correct height for the DSMC2 body.
    Wooden Camera or Small Rig and others have DSMC2 base plates with 15mm rod holders. I would recommend having 15mm rod holders at the front and back of your base plate as you may find it easier to attach the shoulder mount to rear rails.
    Once you have a DSMC2 base plate with 15mm rod clamps your stuff will work except you may decide to cut your rods down to shorter length.
    The rods going onto the top of the camera may not be very adaptable or useful???
    www.cinestill.com
    Raven, 6x Zeiss CP.2, 2x Zeiss zooms, 3x Nikon zooms, Sachtler tripod, Dana Slider, Ezyrig, SD Mix Pre 3, Sprinter Van with lighting kit for hire.