Thread: Raven and Firmware v7.0.0 issues?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Raven and Firmware v7.0.0 issues? 
    Hi guys,

Been wanting to update to firmware 7.0.0 but I've been seeing a lot of conflicting info on here about the reliability of the new firmware. Specifically with raven are you guys having any major issues ? I just don't want to update if reliability is compromise, let me know how it is going for you guys.

Thanks!

Installed it the release day and shot with it for a few days on a job. Zero issues thus far, and it's kinda nice not to have the BETA CANDIDATE splash screen in front of clients.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Van Auken View Post
    Installed it the release day and shot with it for a few days on a job. Zero issues thus far, and it's kinda nice not to have the BETA CANDIDATE splash screen in front of clients.
    Van,

Thanks so much for replying, I went ahead and updated so far it everything is looking great. The only thing that bother me a bit is the "auto calibration" message showing up every now and then, I wish i didn't have to see that.

I just got my Raven last week so I had it only a few days before I updated to 7.0.0, so far no issues, other than I did format a mini mag as as UDF (I think one of the new features that allows Pro Res files to not be broken up into 4gb chunks) for a shoot and occasionally I got an error that it could not mount the media, just had to take it out and replace to get it working. Nothing happened to the previously recorded files so not a big deal just something worth noting. Agreed, I wish I didn't have to see the Auto Calibration notification pop up so frequently but I am guessing I'll get used to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Zimmer View Post
    I just got my Raven last week so I had it only a few days before I updated to 7.0.0, so far no issues, other than I did format a mini mag as as UDF (I think one of the new features that allows Pro Res files to not be broken up into 4gb chunks) for a shoot and occasionally I got an error that it could not mount the media, just had to take it out and replace to get it working. Nothing happened to the previously recorded files so not a big deal just something worth noting. Agreed, I wish I didn't have to see the Auto Calibration notification pop up so frequently but I am guessing I'll get used to it!
    Ryan thanks for replying, I just got word from red and other guys here and it turns out that the auto calibration message is by design, so it appearing often is not a bug or anything. It'd nice to turn it off but in the meantime they told me that if you do an manual instead of the auto black shade the camera will not prompt this message.. but like you said I'd probably just get used to this so I guess it is ok.

So i guess ill skip this fw update...
    Red Raven #727
    DP, Director, Producer, Editor.

www.westwoodfilms.ca
    info@westwoodfilms.ca

Issues for me:
    -longer time to boot
    -menus and functions seem a bit laggier and slower
    - not a fan of the auto calibration message that keeps popping up.

I have downgraded back to Version: 6.3.105

Audio recording during over-cranking is the single best new feature I have gotten on my Raven through firmware. It's so damn handy.
    f
    Origin Design + Communications
    Whistler BC
    Cinematographer and Video Editor

Are you telling me you can finally record 48 fps on a 24 fps project and get sound?!

Yup, recorded as a accompanying WAV file within the folder structure... time to switch from the Jetpack to base I/O
    Origin Design + Communications
    Whistler BC
    Cinematographer and Video Editor