Thread: Sigma 18-35mm & 50-100 T2.0 Cine Zoom Lenses

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Sigma 18-35mm & 50-100 T2.0 Cine Zoom Lenses 
    Hi Guys,

How are people finding the Sigma zoom lenses paired with the Scarlet-W? I have been considering purchasing these for a while and would love to hear some further feedback from others.

I currently have the Samyang Cine Zooms but I would like to take a step up in quality. When I purchased my Scarlet-W earlier in the year the plan was to sell my FS7, and although I still use it a little bit here and there I feel selling my FS7, Samyang Cine Lenses and Canon EF glass and purchasing the the two Sigma lenses in their place would be a better investment going forward.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts?

Josh

Senior Member Robert Gustafsson's Avatar
    I used the Sigma zooms (18-35, 50-100) on multiple shoots. Great mechanics, usable at T2 and tack sharp at 5.6, the 50-100 is a heavy breather. Overall great glass if you know the limitations. I ended up buying the G.L optics versions because of the Sigmas not being parfocal and the longer focus throw on the G.L zooms.
    RED EPIC-W #1939
    http://treborian.com

Does the GL also breathe as much as Sigma?

The Sigma Cinema Zooms vignette at 6K with dragon and Monstro sensors. They vignette also on Alexa 3.2k ProsRes and 3.4k ARRIRAW. They're great run and gun zoom lenses. They are also much lighter from I remember compared to GL Optics. Though I know GL Optics can give you a longer focus throw. Compared to the Samyang Cine lenses or Xeens, it really depends on the lens. Some Samyang primes are much sharper wide open than the Sigma Zooms wide open and some Samyang primes are terrible. The Xeens are definitely sharper, cleaner, and have less chromatic aberrations than the cheaper lenses. Honestly, it's much better to rent lenses from rental houses. Nothing can really comapae to Cookes, Arris, Fujinons, HAWKs, etc. But if you need a set, you can always just buy the Samyang DS lenses as a back up. Hope that solves it!!!!
    Motion Pictures and Film Professional

Since I dont have a Dragon anymore I can still say, that the 50-100 doesnt vignette on Helium at 8K.
    Scarlet-W at 5K is no problem for the 18-35.
    Weapon Carbon #1119, Epic-X #7926 BAM, Raven #220

I use both lenses extensively. They are beautiful. The only downside for me, which might be an upside for other DP's is the very (over)controlled flaring. These lenses don't flare much. Now, the optics on these and the GL are exactly the same, so, if they are par focal or not, they both are it.
    So, as I had it explained to me, they are "near" par focal. You would be extremely hard pressed to spot the focus change as you zoom in real life. They are in practical terms parfocal. Sigma, not wanting to over-promise, did not call them par focal. GL, after their own testing, decided to call them pa focal, which is fair enough. But they are both the same optically.

These were shot with the 18-35 on a Weapon Helium, with some diffusion added in from of the lens (can't recall which, probably different types):

And this with the 50-100:

Attached Images
    Last edited by Daniel Stilling; 10-13-2017 at 11:18 AM.
    Daniel Stilling, DFF (Danish Society of Cinematographers)
    Director Of Photography
    www.danieldp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lubensky View Post
    Does the GL also breathe as much as Sigma?
    It's the same glass. Breathing should be exactly the same. Some of the GL lenses are closer to par focal. I had to audition three lenses to find the one that was acceptable as parfocal. As with the Sigma lenses it's a T2 even though they say they're 1.8. The 300 deg focus on the GL options is very nice.
    www.hal-long.com
    hal_long [at] icloud

Epic-M Dragon

Senior Member Robert Gustafsson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Vera View Post
    ...They are also much lighter from I remember compared to GL Optics.
    I don't think the Sigmas are "much lighter" than the G.L versions, in fact, just based on handling them without knowing any weight specifications, I believe the 18-35 from G.L is almost identical in weight but felt smaller in overall size than the Sigma 18-35...
    RED EPIC-W #1939
    http://treborian.com

Thanks for all the help and information. Thinking I might get the Photo versions for now so I have some run & gun glass, then rent in primes specifically for different shoots.
    Cinematographer, London
    Scarlet-W
    www.joshbirchfilms.com

I use the photo version (ART version) of the 18-35 and the 50-100 on my cine cameras. If you don’t mind a shorter throw, you’ll have exactly the same glass for 1/3 the cost. Also the filter thread is smaller, so the filters you’ll need are much cheaper.

I actually prefer the Zeiss Milvus primes, if you are going to deal with the hassle of a photo lens. They are superior to the CP.2 and CP.3 optics, and they just announced a 25mm at 1.4. The Milvus is the undiscovered gem of the cine world. Far superior to the Sigma Art. Edge to edge sharp where the Sigma’s tend to drop off sharpness at the edges.