Thread: Red Raven Looks

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Red Raven Looks 
    Can i IMPORT LUT'S into my Raven like PhilmColor? Or is this only available to the Scarlet-W and above?

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Masters View Post
    Can i IMPORT LUT'S into my Raven like PhilmColor? Or is this only available to the Scarlet-W and above?
    Raven does not have LUT support. Scarlet-W can do 17x17x17 LUTS, Epic-W and Weapon can do 33x33x33 LUTs and below. It's a hardware limitation.
    @ajt4k

ajt4k.com

REDucated June 2012

Scarlet-X #2098
    Raven #61

I am yet to experiment, but it looks like there is an ability (or used to be) to apply "Looks".
    Not LUT's but custom REDCINE-X PRO "looks".

So my thinking was your colourist can design a rough idea of the look in REDCINE-X PRO and import that via a SSD,
    Apply that as a colour reference of sorts perhaps? That was my thinking.

There used to be a video about this, but can't find it anymore...

That is isnteresting ... I wonder if there's a way to convert the IPP2 LUTS/Transforms into "looks" that can be imported into Raven ?

Quote Originally Posted by Elias Tejeda View Post
    That is isnteresting ... I wonder if there's a way to convert the IPP2 LUTS/Transforms into "looks" that can be imported into Raven ?
    There is not. IPP2's Output Transforms are significantly more complicated than a Look preset. Same could be said about my philmColor LUTs.

However, remember you can use all of these on the post side of things.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

You can shoot in DragonColor2/RedGamma3/4, and then do IPP2 in post, or you can select REDWideGamut/Log3G10 on the Raven, and use a 3rd party monitor that supports LUTs, and put a PhilmColor LUT on that for monitoring. (Such as a SmallHD 500/700 monitors)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Montville View Post
    You can shoot in DragonColor2/RedGamma3/4, and then do IPP2 in post, or you can select REDWideGamut/Log3G10 on the Raven, and use a 3rd party monitor that supports LUTs, and put a PhilmColor LUT on that for monitoring. (Such as a SmallHD 500/700 monitors)
    i might have to buy another smallhd for this same purpose, i dread it, unless im missing something.
    if i choose to shoot this tv show on my raven, they want prores 2k only natively, not 4k raw transcoded later. its a studio spec for the native, so no fighting it.
    but when i went to do a test shoot for the pilot they liked the log3g10 best for post. i shot in the dragon color 2 space, but from my sdi output i could not get a "look" to come out, not even a rec 709 or something watchable for client. fortunate my ac had a small hd and though it didnt look great used it, and tweaked the client monitor.
    am i missing something? can i output a look when shooting in prores and log?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    ... you can use all of these on the post side of things.
    Yea, I figured as much.

I was just thinking out loud to see if anyone in the know could prove/disprove the notion of it.

Seems like the only way would be to buy a 3rd party monitor with lut support and output RWGRGB/Log3G10 to it and use either your lut or the red ones, right?

Or wait to see what my Hydrogen One can do for me in this scenario when it eventually arrives at my door. (Since we're still unsure of exactly what kind of interfacing it's going to do with dsmc2 cameras. If it can indeed be used a monitor (maybe via wifi?) for dsmc2 then maybe it will also support luts or/for ipp2 stuff. )

Quote Originally Posted by Elias Tejeda View Post
    I was just thinking out loud to see if anyone in the know could prove/disprove the notion of it. Seems like the only way would be to buy a 3rd party monitor with lut support and output RWGRGB/Log3G10 to it and use either your lut or the red ones, right?
    Call me crazy: my advice is just to get a basic monitor that will show you a relatively-believable picture during production, then make sure you understand the limits and the potential when you bring the camera files into post. Don't waste your time trying to do looks on location. Just shoot the material, light it well, and know you'll have lots of time in post to do almost anything you want to in the color room provided the material is well exposed and the light is where it needs to be.
    www.colorbymarc.com | colorist / post-production consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    Call me crazy:..Just shoot the material, light it well, ...
    I agree completely,

I'm not too stressed about it

I generally use the exposure tools to make sure nothing important is too over/under and everything else can be eyeballed for a general look.

I'm mostly interested in this for whenever i have to hand stuff off to a client...

Clients , like Adam, ruin everything.