Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Announcing RED ARMOR-W ./ Sensor Swap Program

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Is this sensor bank a communal sensor bank or each customer gets to keep their own sensor. If I deposit a Helium for a VV could I swap in a monochrome eventually or just a regular Helium? Do I get the exact same sensor back?

Florian Stadler, D.P., L.A.
    www.florianstadler.com
    www.buntefarben.com

Quote Originally Posted by Florian Stadler View Post
    Is this sensor bank a communal sensor bank or each customer gets to keep their own sensor. If I deposit a Helium for a VV could I swap in a monochrome eventually or just a regular Helium? Do I get the exact same sensor back?
    Nearly 100% confident that it's not a communal sensor pool as that could cause major headaches. From what Jarred has hinted at is part of the Armor-W is having your sensor stored in the vault safely (perhaps protected by a magic infused stone golem).

So yeah, unless you can kill that golem, you get your sensor.

In the first post yes, if you have a Weapon class camera the swap program covers Monstro VV and at the moment Helium Monochrome. I actually think that's one of the reasons this program was created.

Remember, beyond Armor-W you have to physically the purchase the sensors too.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Hey Brent

Thanks so much and appreciate you and everyone at red for this awesome opportunity! Some random questions about the choices going forward.

If you choose option 1 does red still keep the Monstro deposit and sell you the helium loaner sensor in place of the Monstro sensor for 10k?

If you choose option 2 can you buy the loaner now and the body down the road? I'm kind of broke right now is why I ask the timetable on option 2. I'd love to do it.

If you choose option 2 but already have an epic w is the helium 8k sensor identical in both? Like is helium weapon sensor identical to epic w sensor and it's just lacking boards for processing it?

If you choose option 3 and buy another weapon body down the road can you throw the sensor in it if both have armor w?

If you choose option 3 the Helium 8k monochrome is only 10k for the sensor?

Will you ever have battle tested epic w or helium bodies or I should count on needing 22k or 43k? Without knowing my epic w options yet I'm not sure what to do really, which is why I'm just trying to budget and figure a way out. Option 2 seems amazing overall though if i can swing it! or option 3 as well! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brent@RED View Post
    Understood. We just closed some options for SCARLET-W folks to upgrade up last week. And, as I said, there will eventually be future paths.

Glad you asked.

WEAPON owners with existing VV-preorder that have the "loaner" HELIUM in their cameras have three choices:

1) Keep the HELIUM and forgo the MONSTRO.

2) When they move to MONSTRO, they can "purchase" the "loaner" HELIUM sensor for $2500 and have it installed in a EPIC-W for $22,500 or WEAPON CF for $42,500.

3) When they move to MONSTRO, they can "purchase" the "loaner" HELIUM sensor for $4500 and have it part of their sensor bank under RED ARMOR-W, should they purchase that.
    Last edited by Brian Merlen; 10-07-2017 at 06:32 PM.
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:
    Alexa Classic
    2 Alexa Studios
    Alexa M package
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Helium (Monstro deposit)
    Epic W
    Oconnor 2060

Red Rocket X with rMBP, FCPX, Avid MC8, and Resolve Lite 12 in the NYC/CT area (but willing to travel).

Good questions Brian. I was also thinking about throwing down to hang on to my "loaner" S35 Helium sensor, with the idea that I might want to plant it in a second body at some point, but don't have the cash flow to cover Armor-X almost $6K, and $4,500 for the Helium, and potentially some new lens mounts for VV ($3K-ish a piece AFAIK) and a second body all at once.

I'm sure they'll take care of us.

Cheers - #19

Actually, I stand corrected, the prior upgrade path was RAVEN owner to EPIC-W. Before they took delivery, RAVEN deposit holders had option to SCARLET-W or EPIC-W.
    oh phew, i follow everything pretty well and i was like how'd i miss that upgrade opportunity? that is one i would actually maybe seen worth it for my situations.

6.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Varandas View Post
    Brent, for ST Helium with Armor W - How much for the new Monstro sensor? The same 15k-ish for upgrade price?
    Is it possible to swap to another camera with Armor w?
    Thanks
    Correct, the “Diamond Discount” Jarred mentioned in some posts. So, if you have a trooper, you can order the MONSTER at $14,500. Same pricer RED ARMOR-W and upgrade. With ARMOR-W, you are in swap program. If not on ARMOR-W, just a normal sensor upgrade.

If you are getting the $14,500 price, needs to go in your trooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Florian Stadler View Post
    Your sensor will be stored on a one-to-one basis. However, should we roll a revision or something, we reserve the right to upgrade/replace your sensor. So, RED reserves the right to send you a different sensor in these circumstances. This is a good thing for you : )

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Merlen View Post
    Hey Brent

Thanks so much and appreciate you and everyone at red for this awesome opportunity! Some random questions about the choices going forward.

If you choose option 1 does red still keep the Monstro deposit and sell you the helium loaner sensor in place of the Monstro sensor for 10k?

If you choose option 2 can you buy the loaner now and the body down the road? I'm kind of broke right now is why I ask the timetable on option 2. I'd love to do it.

If you choose option 2 but already have an epic w is the helium 8k sensor identical in both? Like is helium weapon sensor identical to epic w sensor and it's just lacking boards for processing it?

If you choose option 3 and buy another weapon body down the road can you throw the sensor in it if both have armor w?

If you choose option 3 the Helium 8k monochrome is only 10k for the sensor?

Will you ever have battle tested epic w or helium bodies or I should count on needing 22k or 43k? Without knowing my epic w options yet I'm not sure what to do really, which is why I'm just trying to budget and figure a way out. Option 2 seems amazing overall though if i can swing it! or option 3 as well! Thanks
    1. No, this fulfills your VV deposit by you keeping your HELIUM. No open order after this.

2. Good question. Logistically, for us to “store” a sensor for you, you would have to be part of the RED ARMOR-W program. So, this is kinda a one shot deal. But, if you decide later on to move to another WEAPON HELIUM or EPIC-W HELIUM, we can likely work something out. Just ping me when/if the time comes…

2. Exact sensor itself, same. Boards, different.

3. Of course.

3. HELIUM monochrome and standard color HELIUM are same price.

At some point, I am sure. But, not right now, as any upgrade from EPIC-W to WEAPON, many parts from EPIC-W can be reused. It is not a trade in. So, really none collecting dust, trust me : )

Understood. We just closed some options for SCARLET-W folks to upgrade up last week. And, as I said, there will eventually be future paths.

Glad you asked.

WEAPON owners with existing VV-preorder that have the "loaner" HELIUM in their cameras have three choices:

1) Keep the HELIUM and forgo the MONSTRO.

2) When they move to MONSTRO, they can "purchase" the "loaner" HELIUM sensor for $2500 and have it installed in a EPIC-W for $22,500 or WEAPON CF for $42,500.

3) When they move to MONSTRO, they can "purchase" the "loaner" HELIUM sensor for $4500 and have it part of their sensor bank under RED ARMOR-W, should they purchase that.

Just wondering if there is an option 2, A.

Where you move to MONSTRO and purchase your HELIUM sensor for $2500 and just hold on to it your self and then pay the $2K'ish when you need to have it re installed.

Im trying to figure out why our used HELIUM sensor is $2500 to have it installed in a EPIC W or WEAPON CF and then it jumps to $4500 to just have it hang out at RED and pay $5900 for the ARMOR-W? For the exchange option. I guess your offering a discount to those who want to add a camera to the package...right? I totally get that. Oh maybe I just answered my own question...???

This is a wonderful plan thank you for presenting it.
    Im trying to figure out what might be best for me.

I personally would like an option where I just buy my Sensor and then figure out later if I want to swap it. For me and maybe others I might not swap my sensor in that year under the ARMOR W program. Could you say, not swap for 2 years and have a couple swap credits hanging out in your account.... ??

Seems like one of those things where you never swap and then all of a sudden, you end up having a couple jobs where you need to swap a few times in a few months...

Maybe you could pre buy sensor swaps and get a discount. Like buying anything in bulk... Only with out the ARMOR W.
    Just for the record I do see the advantage for the ARMOR W with all the other service and sort of an insurance program for your sensor should anything bad happen.

You guys rock thank you RED for this. Way above the other guys... as usual.
    Epic Forged Weapon (Aerial)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312

Imma bit dense perhaps, still a bit fuzzy on the Armor W advantage. The Weapon 8K upgrade (from Dragon) comes with a standard 2 year warranty correct?
    https://support.red.com/hc/en-us/art...grade-Warranty

If I have to purchase the Monstro upgrade anyway, for $30K, what is the advantage to Armor W until there is the sensor after Monstro about to ship? Since it has been 2 1/2 years since Helium (the last RED sensor generation) was first shipped . . . seems like buying coverage for a sensor swap that might be out a couple years from now wouldn’t make sense. I don't see swapping between back and forth between S35 and Monstro. It would be more of the Adobe subscription program where you get the upgrades at a fixed cost.

Also, to be clear: someone who is paying for a Dragon to Weapon 8K upgrade today has until the end of the 2017 to sign up for Armor W. Seems like it would be best to wait until then since the 2 year clock starts from that date - not today.

If there was a discount from the $30K Monstro upgrade cost, based on money paid in on the Armor W program, it would be a no brainer for a Weapon 8K Helium owner to do. Please help me understand the $6K value other than the accidental sensor damage coverage - I'm probably missing something.
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Jock
    Underwater Shooter
    Weapon 8K in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

the point is (at least i think, if I'm even understanding this) that you can swap from color to monochrome or S35 to VV, without coughing up 45k for a spare weapon body. i dont have 45k, but i can swing armor W and that gives me time to get money together for another weapon body while having some artistic choice. PS zeb i bought a arri inspected alexa classic and it didn't have warranty cuz i was being cheap. it had an A com board die that cost more then i bought it for used after like a couple small jobs. I've never had something like this happen before but it wiped out 11 percent of my last years income lol! so i might change my mind on warranties!

Brent another couple questions:

1 When Red hits you up to collect your Monstro, can you delay it? Like I have the prepay in full sitting there but am too broke for another 45k atm. If Monstro isn't ending anytime soon can someone like me possibly delay the monstro delivery in order to come up with the necessary 45k for another body? I'm itching for that other body, can you tell lol?

2. If you do choose to buy another body when you get your monstro, can you just have the monstro put in the new body instead of the current body? Or it must go in my current helium body and my heliums sensor must go into the new body? I only ask because I can keep the current unit busy while I just get the monstro with the new body then? just wondering, honestly its the least of my concerns idk why I'm even curious.

3. If you choose to remain helium what happens to the 10k monstro deposit? is it spent on the fact i dont actually own this helium sensor and I then buy it for 10k? is it refunded and i keep this awesome sensor for free lol? i figure red keeps it, right?

4. once you join armor W and you buy a monochrome sensor for this super cheap awesome price...and you also buy monstro with the spare body option. but you get an epic W cuz your broke as the spare body...can you...drum roll... put the monochrome sensor into the Epic w? thus making the worlds first monochrome epic w? cuz i want a monochrome camera but seeing 8k sensors are only 10k and a 5k monochrome units brain (with boards too) is 12.5k...it makes the 8k epic w idea very attractive. 8k weapon, i cant afford that unless its armor W for sure man lol!

thanks for all your help. i really love red. I've always really liked the products and RU and appreciate your help with everything and the whole team!
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:
    Alexa Classic
    2 Alexa Studios
    Alexa M package
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Helium (Monstro deposit)
    Epic W
    Oconnor 2060

Red Rocket X with rMBP, FCPX, Avid MC8, and Resolve Lite 12 in the NYC/CT area (but willing to travel).

Apologies if the answers to the below are posted elsewhere, but I'm hoping Brent/Jarred/someone from Red can clarify the following:

The MONSTRO Recon announcement says: "$29,500 as a sensor upgrade to existing CF DSMC2 Weapon camera owners"

And the Armor-W Recon announcement says: "RED ARMOR-W is open to all WEAPON CF and WEAPON [Limited Edition] cameras or new sensor purchases after the launch of the MONSTROTM 8K VV sensor on October 5th, 2017. Customers who already own WEAPON CF or WEAPON [Limited Edition] cameras have to currently be under warranty and contact a Sales representative by December 31st, 2017 to enroll. We will pro-rate your existing RED ARMOR, if needed."

I don't foresee myself wanting to swap back and forth between Helium 8K and Monstro VV. BUT, I can potentially see upgrading to Monstro VV as a one-shot deal in the future. Am I correct in understanding the above quotes to mean:

1 - [CONFIRMED by Bomb Squad] price of Monstro VV is $29.5k, with Armor-W or without.
    2 - [CONFIRMED by Bomb Squad] Armor-W must be purchased by 12/31/17 *without* buying a new sensor, but can be purchased at any time in the future if I simultaneously buy a Monstro VV sensor (or a whole camera)
    3 - [Bomb Squad says UNCOMFIRMED, but likely] With Armor-W, I get to keep my Helium when I swap to Monstro, but without Armor-W I must give up my Helium in order to upgrade?
    4 - If I currently have Armor "regular", and buy Armor-W, is the price pro-rated by $$$ or by time? (That is, does a year of remaining Armor get me a year of Armor-W free, or less/more?)
    5 - Are either of these prices ($5900, $29.5k) time-limited?
    6 - Given #2 above, and the fact that The support page on the topic says Armor-W includes "regular" Armor... How does this work if I'm buying a new sensor for an old camera that is already out of warranty? Does the camera become "re-armored"?

I spoke with Bomb Squad, but they said they'd have to research to get the answers. So I'm posting this in the hopes of a straight-from-the-horse's-mouth reply that will help other confused owners as well.

EDIT: I'll continue to edit this post to confirm items as info comes in from Bomb Squad or elsewhere.