Thread: Owning a Red under 10k

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 Owning a Red under 10k 
    Good afternoon,

I'm wanting to see everyone's opinions about the realistic idea that I could own a full red setup under 10k. I just sold my Ursa mini 4.6k and I'm looking for my next camera and I'm considering a used Red, but I'm not sure if realistically, I can own one from around the 7,000 to 10,000 range. Is it possible at this point to get a used Red model that will at least shoot 4k 60fps and everything else you need (minus a lens) to start shooting, or should I look elsewhere? I've seen the Red Scarlet MX models for fairly cheap, but they seem outdated... The Red Raven shot up in price this year, and I'm not sure if I can afford the Scarlet W.

I would love to hear everyone's opinions!

You can definitive get a used RED Epic MX with screen and megs for less than 10k

///

I'd go for a Scarlet Dragon. Stay away from the MX sensor at this point.
    Epic Dragon
    Scarlet Dragon - SOLD
    Scarlet MX - SOLD
    RED One MX - SOLD

DP // Director
    www.jakesouthardcinema.com
    https://vimeo.com/jakesouthardcinema/videos

James, do you think the Epic MX is still a camera worth owning today?

If you're looking for something new, probably not

I'm pretty happy with my raven overall, i thinks it's a worthwhile purchase if you're able to get around some of the limitations

I'm not sure I'd go MX unless you got an Epic

Dragon sensor is the way to go in that price point weather it's raven or a dsmc1 scarlet dragon

Epic Dragons are a bargain now .. but not sub10k kind of a bargain

Another plus for the Raven is that it is DSMC2

Which means all new accessories and physical mods will most likely be compatible with it (and it has built-in wifi)

Thanks for the reply, Jake. The Scarlet Dragon sounds perfect, if I can find one in my price range!

Elias, thanks for the reply.

I would love to find the Raven used, it seems like at this point most people want too much for their used Ravens. They also seem hard to find at this point. The dragon sensor does look very appealing though. It seems that the consensus is to stay away from the MX sensors.

im at a similar cross road im looking to build a decent and respectable red rig today (not literally this minute but at this current moment) with a cap of 9500 and a real hard cap of like 11k.. anyway heres my opinion

i wouldnt take a red one for free.. in fact i would pay you to keep it get it outta here and away from me
    scarlet mx.. i wouldnt pay more than $2000 for the brain and still prob not even worth it.
    scarlet dragon.. they seem semi-rare like i see them around but then again i dont see them around however i discovered even though they have the dragon sensor this still only shoots like 12fps at 6k and 48 fps at 5k? it doesnt really seem worth it to me because it seems like a cool sensor that lacks power so im a bit apprehensive and rather not buy this one plus scarlet seems to not be a respectable brand
    epic mx.. i would like to pay no more than like $5000 for the brain w/ the fan upgrade and atleast a lens mount.. but its also old and makes me a bit hesitant just because age seems like a major major factor in this world
    epic dragon.. now this is probably the only camera from the dsmc1 line that i would really consider buying and if i could have a complete built version for under 10k it would be epic within itself lol ( had to use that pun eventually )
    scarlet-w.. while the scarlet doesnt seem to be recognized as a decent camera i really like the scarlet-w i cant seem to find a bone to pick w/ it to be honest it delivers 120fps at 5k with a dragon sensor and its dsmc2
    raven.. i would definitely buy if i could find a brain for $5500 +/-$500 and build it up and have things beyond the camera for under 10k

I've been keeping a close eye on the used DSMC1 prices.. 1.8'' mags and readers are pretty cheap.. If you piece it together you can find a Scarlet Dragon Brain, Side module 1.8'' a RED Mag 1.8'', reader, side handle, and Wooden Camera PL or Nikon Mount for about $10,300.00... You'd still need a battery mount, batts and of course lenses...

Facebook seems to have a nice RED camera sale page.. however I've never purchased from it..