Thread: ABT SpeedMount EF – a Speedbooster Built Into Your RED Camera

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kellermann View Post
    Thanks Jacek for your perfect replies :) As Jacek explained, the image quality basically stays the same. If you leave the aperture settings on the lens the same, it might get slightly worse on the corners (depending on the lens), since you actually increase the f-stop. But, again, it might even increase the IQ based on the used lens. Brian Caldwell, the designer of the optics used in the SpeedMount, wrote a white paper answering lots of those questions. The same optical element that's used in the Metabones SpeedBooster Ultra is, in a modified version, also used in the SpeedMount, so you can use the widely available SpeedBooster Ultra tests to get an impression of the optical quality of the SpeedMount.

Concerning the "VV" look: using a focal length reducer (in our case with a x0.71 magnification) on a RED Dragon 6k will give you basically the exact same image compared to the same lens at the same T-stop on a RED Dragon VV, only that it's one stop faster (8k Dragon to 6k Draon is x0.75, 8k Dragon to 6k HD Dragon is x0.68 -> Big thank you to Phil Holland for his great PHFX formatCompare tool).

The Sigma 14mm and 135mm cover 8k Helium, the 20mm slightly vignettes at 8k. Didn't had a change to test the other Sigma Cine FF lenses yet. The Tokina VISTA 25mm also covers 8k Helium. I'll post test results with the missing focal lengths and other lenses, such as the Celere, and will update the SpeedMount lens sheet soon.

Here are three frames, shot nearly from the same position with the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM at 70mm f2.8 (Canon 5Dmk3 was slightly lower on the tripod). Both RED cameras and the Canon 5Dmk3 were set to 1/5000 exposure time. The RED frames are cropped to 7k to show the same image circle on the RED with SpeedMount as on the 5Dmk3. I changed the settings in RED Cine-X to better match the Canon look. You can also download the high resolution Canon and R3D file here.

David,

Many thanks, this is really a game changer for those who can't afford the Weapon for more FPS with a wide FOV.

Hope this tool wont be ban by RED via a firmware or something like that !

Freiburg, Germany & Prague, Czech Republic
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandre Chailan View Post
    David,

Many thanks, this is really a game changer for those who can't afford the Weapon for more FPS with a wide FOV.

Hope this tool wont be ban by RED via a firmware or something like that !
    We're not changing anything on the PCB. I know that RED is very strict when it comes to tinkering with the electronics of the camera so we made sure to fully design our SpeedMount around the original RED Canon mount PCB. So firmware updates to the mount still work as usual.
    Glaswerk ONE & ONE+ 2x VV anamorphic lenses

www.glaswerk-optics.de

Thanks David for your feedback,

Its a masterpiece !

The big question for me to pull the Paypal trigger :

Does Rokinons FF, Sigma Art, Otus, Celeres cover more than 5k on the Dragon? If one of the focal lenght is not covering the 6k Dragon then it's not a set anymore...
    Does shooting 5k in FF with less compression have more advantages than shooting S35 in 6k with more compression?
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    The big question for me to pull the Paypal trigger :

Does Rokinons FF, Sigma Art, Otus, Celeres cover more than 5k on the Dragon? If one of the focal lenght is not covering the 6k Dragon then it's not a set anymore...
    Does shooting 5k in FF with less compression have more advantages than shooting S35 in 6k with more compression?
    Pat
    All FF35 "should" cover Dragon 5k. I haven't found a FF35 lens that vignettes at 5k, but obviously we didn't had a chance to test that many lenses yet.

www.glaswerk-optics.de

All FF35 "should" cover Dragon 5k. I haven't found a FF35 lens that vignettes at 5k, but obviously we didn't had a chance to test that many lenses yet.
    I was hoping for 6k clearance on some FF lenses.

I do usually shoot Lowlight OLPF now with the additional stop I wonder if I should go Skintone OLPF?
    What are your thoughts?

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    I was hoping for 6k clearance on some FF lenses.

I do usually shoot Lowlight OLPF now with the additional stop I wonder if I should go Skintone OLPF?
    What are your thoughts?

Pat
    The new Tokina VISTA primes and most of the Sigma ART lenses should also cover Dragon 6k. I tested it with the VISTA 25mm and the Sigma 14, 20 and 135... only the Sigma 20mm vignetted very slightly on Helium 8k which is only minimally smaller than Dragon 6k.

All OLPF will work, but my personal preference is still the Low Light.

@Pat: Did you got my email?

www.glaswerk-optics.de

@Pat: Did you got my email?
    I sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Boothby View Post
    Will this ever be available in PL mount?
    This may have been adequately answered already. My limited experience with a 0.71 "Ultra" Speedbooster optical cell in a Blackmagic URSA 4K was that a PL-Mount would be problematic. My arrangement was to suit the Nikon lens set I already owned. Some newer PL-Mount lenses which as already mentioned are also available as EF-Mount could be doable.

The Metabones website publishes a limited list of PL-Mount lenses which can be used with their PL-Mount to Sony E-Mount Speedbooster and cautions against the use of other types.

With other PL-Mount lenses, the rear elements will clash with the front element of the Speedbooster optical cell. Older PL-Mount lenses may have an image circle which is too small and will vignette.

The PL-Mount and clamp ring itself would need to be significantly modified to be assured of clearing the body structure of the BM URSA 4K and I suspect the DMSC2 series body may require the PL-Mount and its clamp ring to be also unique. This happens because the 0.71 optical cell requires the flange face of the lens mount to be approx 4mm furthur rearwards towards the sensor. The front face of a Nikon mount intermediate adaptor without Speedbooster is near flush with the front of the URSA body. You will observe the setback of the face of the altered intermediate adaptor the Nikon mount ring is attached to for the Speedbooster arrangement.

The arrangement of the Speedbooster for the DMSC2 camera family is a sweet piece of work. Muchly respected as I know just how much has to go into that task, especially to make it a one-piece no mistakes swap-in assembly. Congratulations to all who made that happen.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Robert Hart; 09-30-2017 at 12:57 PM. Reason: error

Would you consider making a few without the PCB? or is there other parts from the AL mount that is utilized? Really want one of these but the price is heavy..