Thread: ABT SpeedMount EF a Speedbooster Built Into Your RED Camera

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    David, are there any estimates on some kind of release or price-point for these? I'd really like to hear what you found out about the CN-E primes, since they are true cinema primes for EF only and are said to cover FF. I guess the 14mm will vignette, but how about the 24mm? Because I will not be able to afford the VV Dragon this might just be all I need :)
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Freiburg, Germany & Prague, Czech Republic
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    David, are there any estimates on some kind of release or price-point for these? I'd really like to hear what you found out about the CN-E primes, since they are true cinema primes for EF only and are said to cover FF. I guess the 14mm will vignette, but how about the 24mm? Because I will not be able to afford the VV Dragon this might just be all I need :)
    Hi Christoffer, do you have the Canon CN-E primes? I could send you a demo unit for testing :) You can contact me by mail.

@ Moderators: since I'm not a reduser sponsor, I don't want to advertise the product. So if posting links to my store or talking about the price violates the forum rules, please delete the post.

There's currently an IBC pre-oder price of 3395€ which is valid until September 30th on my store. After that, the price will go up to 3995€ and the SpeedMounts will also be offered through dealers worldwide.

We'll start shipping the units this December.
    Glaswerk ONE & ONE+ 2x VV anamorphic lenses

www.glaswerk-optics.de

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kellermann View Post
    Hi Christoffer, do you have the Canon CN-E primes? I could send you a demo unit for testing :) You can contact me by mail.

@ Moderators: since I'm not a reduser sponsor, I don't want to advertise the product. So if posting links to my store or talking about the price violates the forum rules, please delete the post.

There's currently an IBC pre-oder price of 3395€ which is valid until September 30th on my store. After that, the price will go up to 3995€ and the SpeedMounts will also be offered through dealers worldwide.

We'll start shipping the units this December.
    Yes, I own a set of 24 - 85. :)
    Sent an email to you
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Maybe we should do a group buy to bring that price a little closer to earth....Chris?....lol
    www.DistinctVisuals.com
    Gemini #544
    Raven #1542

2017 Cinematography Reel
    REDucated - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron McKinlay View Post
    Maybe we should do a group buy to bring that price a little closer to earth....Chris?....lol

I'm in ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron McKinlay View Post
    I know that many of you are disappointed about the price. When I started working on the product, mostly because I wanted to use one myself, I thought that 1) it can't be that hard to make one and 2) it should be relatively cheap to manufacture. Turns out that I was wrong twice.

We have to buy for every single SpeedMount a new RED Canon AL mount (for the PCB), a new RED VV OLPF (for the filter glass), custom made CNC parts and the optical block from Brian Caldwell which we than have to get modified in Germany. It takes time to assemble the unit, measure and calibrate it etc. Last but not least we spent many months on designing and developing the SpeedMount including destroying many Metabones SpeedBoosters in the process. Plus we are developing a custom calibration solution for it on Hanse Inno Tech's new collimator.

[EDIT: Obviously not Mg but AL]

www.glaswerk-optics.de

This is truly an amazing job you guys have done. congrats.
    I and Im sure that most here would love to see some actual moving pictures with this on the camera so we all could see how it reacts to wider lenses and see what happens when you move the image around.
    +1 on the group buy here if it comes around.
    Epic Forged Monstro (Camera 101)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/russfill/

A group buy would be GREAT.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by David Kellermann View Post

We have to buy for every single SpeedMount a new RED Canon Mg mount (for the PCB)...
    If you used the PCB from an aluminum EF mount instead of MG it would be a lot cheaper?

Maybe talk to Jarred and get a licensing deal in place and you could potentially do even better and have it “red approved” out of the gate ?

Edit... guessing you must be using the AL EF mount pcb vs the titanium- I don’t see a Mg version.

http://www.red.com/store/products/dsmc-canon-lens-mount

$700 AL vs $2000 Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kanes View Post
    If you used the PCB from an aluminum EF mount instead of MG it would be a lot cheaper?

Maybe talk to Jarred and get a licensing deal in place and you could potentially do even better and have it “red approved” out of the gate ?

Edit... guessing you must be using the AL EF mount pcb vs the titanium- I don’t see a Mg version.

http://www.red.com/store/products/dsmc-canon-lens-mount

$700 AL vs $2000 Ti
    Yes, we're obviously using the AL version... I corrected the first post. I can't comment on RED's decisions regarding the supply of parts nor the RED third party program, since I signed a NDA.

www.glaswerk-optics.de