Thread: ABT SpeedMount EF – a Speedbooster Built Into Your RED Camera

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Patrick only EF mount if im not wrong as most PL lenses have glass going into the mount, EF are flat at the back so they dont hit the glass in the "speedbooster", so not sure how it would work with anamorphics

Freiburg, Germany & Prague, Czech Republic
    Thank you all for your interest in the Hanse Inno Tech and ABT cine SpeedMount EF for DSMC2! It was great to talk to many people by mail, phone, social media and especially in person at IBC 2017 – thanks for that!
    We received the first prototype on Saturday at IBC, so we didn‘t have the time to shoot proper test footage.

After IBC, both Lars and Steven at Hanse Inno Tech and Viola and I were quite exhausted and needed some rest. Nonetheless we used the good weather to do some quick test on my balcony with a RED Epic-W and a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, both with a standard RED Canon Mg mount and our SpeedMount EF. Also attached are some shots from the Tokina, Sigma and Schneider-Kreuznach booths at IBC. More footage coming up soon! If we should test anything specific or if there's a lens that we should test, please contact me.

Even though the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM doens't cover 8K Helium with a SpeedMount, we decided to shoot everything in 8K at f2.8 to make it easier to compare the shots with and without the SpeedMount. Good news for Sigma ART, Tokina VISTA and Zeiss CP.3 owners... most lenses should cover 8k on Helium / 6k on Dragon!

You can download the high-resolution jpeg and R3D files here.

We also started a data sheet with popular lenses. We'll try to test as many lenses as possible.

Glaswerk ONE & ONE+ 2x VV anamorphic lenses

www.glaswerk-optics.de

I'd like to volunteer to get a sample mount to help you guys test lenses with the Epic-W that I have.
    Ryan Sauvé | @sauvedp
    Epic-W #7950
    Nikon Z6

Just so I understand this - does this take a, say 50mm full-frame still lens, and allow you to shoot at the 50mm (rather than the slight magnification/crop 6K gives you), and even stepping down to 5K for the S35 image circle, it'll retain 50mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Sauve View Post
    I'd like to volunteer to get a sample mount to help you guys test lenses with the Epic-W that I have.
    Nope, I already beat you to the punch, black anodized

Yes! Does this mean that the vignette is from image cercle from the lens and not from the speedbooster mount?
    So 6k Dragon is doable without vignetting depending the lens!?

Do you have an R3D with a 35mm Art lens or 28mm Otus, wide shot to share?

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    How do these look with the Canon CN-E primes? They should be full frame capable so they shouldn't vignette, right?

Also, how much do the mount-glass distort sharpness etc?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Thank you David. Looks promising!

How do these look with the Canon CN-E primes? They should be full frame capable so they shouldn't vignette, right?

Also, how much do the mount-glass distort sharpness etc?
    Not necessarily, as shown in the pictures above. Dragon FF (and I believe Epic W) is 34mm diagonal and speed boosters are designed for S35 - 30-31mm diagonal. Hence the vignetting. Circle of coverage isn't always exact depending on the lens design. Generally longer FF lenses cover more than the required FF 43-44mm circle simply because it's easier to design longer lens with extra coverage that eliminates the extreme corner image degradation. For wides it is more difficult because of the viewing angle the glass size has to "grow" really fast as the circle of coverage increases. For that reason to keep the size and cost low the designers design the wide lenses with just enough coverage for the designated format.
    So for longer lenses that actually cover 46-47mm circle for example you may end up not clipping corners on the 34mm diagonal Dragon (Helium) sensor but with wider lenses that barely cover 44mm the speed booster will cut it down to S35 adequate 31mm which clips the corners of the 34mm diagonal coverage.
    As far as the IQ theoretically the SB glass should improve the IQ since it is compressing the image to smaller size. In reality due to differences between lenses all you can expect is for the IQ to remain the same.
    hope that helps...
    Just so I understand this - does this take a, say 50mm full-frame still lens, and allow you to shoot at the 50mm (rather than the slight magnification/crop 6K gives you), and even stepping down to 5K for the S35 image circle, it'll retain 50mm?
    That's generally correct but I prefer to think it in the lens terms:
    Just "transform" the 50mm F1.8 into 35mm f1.2(0.7 magnificationx50mm and 1 stop gain roughly). Done!!! The lens you are using now (after mounting it on the camera with speed mount) is a 35mm f1.2 lens.
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Will this ever be available in PL mount?