Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Red Dragon to Epic-W Deadline?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Red Dragon to Epic-W Deadline? 
    I received an email from Red stating the deadline to upgrade to the Helium sensor is Sept. 28th. The email says "This will be the final opportunity for RED ONE, SCARLET MYSTERIUM-X, and EPIC MYSTERIUM-X camera owners to move to the DSMC2 line via an upgrade. Please note that after September 28, RED will no longer be able to guarantee the availability of parts to support RED ONE, SCARLET MYSTERIUM-X, and EPIC MYSTERIUM-X repairs."

Just to clarify, Epic Dragon owners will still be able to upgrade after this deadline? This only effect cameras with Mysterium sensors and below, right? Epic Dragon cameras can still be upgraded or serviced?

+1 on Derek's post...

3.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #3  
    Guys, sorry about that. I think there is some confusion. Two different things here - one is current upgrade paths. The other is guaranteed repair support.

For upgrade, Sep 28 is the deadline to place on order for current RED owner pricing upgrades. This is your last chance to upgrade from RED ONE, EPIC M-X + DRAGON, and SCARLET M-X + DRAGON (ie, DSMC1) to DSMC2 line.

Repair is a somewhat separate topic. After September, we can no longer guarantee repair part availability for RED ONE, EPIC M-X, and SCARLET M-X. If we still have the part, we will, of course, do it. And, if you are an EPIC or SCARLET M-X, we will likely be able to upgrade you to DRAGON to perform the repair.

Where connected, Jarred is saying that in context of this being "last call" for all people in DSMC1 to get into DSMC2, be warned that repair for some of the DSMC1 line is not going to be guaranteed for much longer so a good time for those folks to get into DSMC2.

I understand the confusion from the email and we will send a follow-up with copy that is clearer for SCARLET DRAGON and EPIC DRAGON owners. Meanwhile, the full details of current upgrade paths have been listed here for quite awhile.

FWIW, Jarred's original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent@RED View Post
    Guys, sorry about that. I think there is some confusion. Two different things here - one is current upgrade paths. The other is guaranteed repair support.

For upgrade, Sep 28 is the deadline to place on order for current RED owner pricing upgrades. This is your last chance to upgrade from RED ONE, EPIC M-X + DRAGON, and SCARLET M-X + DRAGON (ie, DSMC1) to DSMC2 line.

Repair is a somewhat separate topic. After September, we can no longer guarantee repair part availability for RED ONE, EPIC M-X, and SCARLET M-X. If we still have the part, we will, of course, do it. And, if you are an EPIC or SCARLET M-X, we will likely be able to upgrade you to DRAGON to perform the repair.

Where connected, Jarred is saying that in context of this being "last call" for all people in DSMC1 to get into DSMC2, be warned that repair for some of the DSMC1 line is not going to be guaranteed for much longer so a good time for those folks to get into DSMC2.

I understand the confusion from the email and we will send a follow-up with copy that is clearer for SCARLET DRAGON and EPIC DRAGON owners. Meanwhile, the full details of current upgrade paths have been listed here for quite awhile.

FWIW, Jarred's original post.
    What a way to treat people who spend their life savings on your cameras... If it breaks, it breaks right?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Laub View Post
    What a way to treat people who spend their life savings on your cameras... If it breaks, it breaks right?
    I bet Sony, Panasonic, Canon or any other major non-cinema manufacturer wouldn't even warn you about those things, like repair parts availability, or ability to service a camera at all. Yes, it's not pleasing to hear, but it's fair to warn your customers about such stuff, insted of keeping silence like most manufaturers do.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Laub View Post
    I think if you read the entire post.... You would have noticed the little bit that said "And, if you are an EPIC or SCARLET M-X, we will likely be able to upgrade you to DRAGON to perform the repair." The cost to replace a part that isn't manufactured anymore would be quite costly... So i'm sure you'd be pretty bent up on the cost to fix your mx sensor anyways... However, they're not saying you're SOL... They're saying... well it would be cheaper and less stress for all parties to replace it with a dragon than a MX anyways.. So I'm still pretty baffled how people are bent out of shape about this. Unless you're just that in love with the MX sensor.. Which could be the case, it's still pretty incredible... You could probably buy a new camera after market for the cost to replace your sensor anyways.

John Brennick
    Sr. Compositor
    www.johnbrennick.com
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1562986/