Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Vista Vision Update.

Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    The Weapon VV queue really puts having to wait 12 days for the second batch of D850's in perspective :D

Although since there's no evidence of production problems or massive unexpected demand in this case, I still think Nikon blew it and announced a date they couldn't deliver on.

First, awesome news on the new batch of VV sensors!

Question for Jarred or Brent: I thought that I remembered early talk of a new Canon mount and OLPF to accommodate the larger sensor? Are those items still in the works?
    Not that I need to run out and gobble them up now as I am a May timestamp, just trying to wrap my head around the other bits and pieces that I will eventually need.

Thanks again guys, exciting times!

How much will it cost for VV? from helium weapon 8K?

My guess is at least $20k
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Longden View Post
    How much will it cost for VV? from helium weapon 8K?
    Jarred said at NAB 2015 that the $10K deal for VV would be "at least double" in the future. That said, IMHO there is pretty good chance that in 2018 there will be a RED Sensor 4.0 which is next generation beyond Dragon in a VV form factor. That's why he mentioned the upcoming "swapable sensor" feature. Those with a NAB 2015 Forged Carbon who made deposits for the VV then will get priority. Those with Weapon 8K are next in line since their internals are up to speed with the VV bandwidth needs. That's why you'll want to upgrade to full Weapon 8K by September 28th.
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Sturgis View Post
    I thought that I remembered early talk of a new Canon mount and OLPF to accommodate the larger sensor?

Thanks again guys, exciting times!
    There is a VV Mg Canon Mount. I bought one when I received my VV. There are VV OLPFs too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
    There is a VV Mg Canon Mount. I bought one when I received my VV. There are VV OLPFs too.
    Thanks for that Stacey, much appreciated.
    As a side note, some of the stuff that Clark shot with your camera looks amazing.
    I sure am looking forward to getting that email from Red.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb B View Post
    Jarred said at NAB 2015 that the $10K deal for VV would be "at least double" in the future. That said, IMHO there is pretty good chance that in 2018 there will be a RED Sensor 4.0 which is next generation beyond Dragon in a VV form factor. That's why he mentioned the upcoming "swapable sensor" feature. Those with a NAB 2015 Forged Carbon who made deposits for the VV then will get priority. Those with Weapon 8K are next in line since their internals are up to speed with the VV bandwidth needs. That's why you'll want to upgrade to full Weapon 8K by September 28th.
    Wish I had known that all this time... would have made waiting a little more acceptable.
    Last edited by Elsie N; 10-04-2017 at 11:51 AM.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

The VV Mg Canon Mount is refined a bit over the Ti Canon Mount. It’s not necessary if you already have a Canon Mount for your Weapon. If you’re looking to pick up a Canon mount, especially for the VV sensor, then this is the one to get if you have the budget.

I’m sure RED will re-open VV orders once they have sensor production sorted out to where they can get caught up. And it will most likely be a lot more expensive. It’s been commented before that when/if orders do re-open, it will be more than double the early bird NAB price. Jarred also commented in the past that they should be charging a whole lot more than that. With the low yield on these sensors up to now, I can only imagine what these VV sensor upgrades truly cost.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Testing a set of Zeiss Otus primes (courtesy of the fine folk at Duclos Lenses) on a VV with my AL RED EF mount and it cut both edges of the full 40.96 frame top to bottom. I'd estimate about 1.5mm cropped on each side, leaving roughly 38mm Horizontal clean, all 21.6mm Vertical was clean. Looks like I'll need to upgrade my Canon mount. It also means the Otus set is back in the running for my personal kit. [Digression alert] The Sigma CINE line feels like too good a deal to pass up, especially with so many more focal lengths. Also the design is well suited to a personal kit where a smaller lens, particularly one that distributes focus rotation smartly to make pulling on the barrel manageable, even without the touch of a safecracker beyond 10' ;-)

As much as I prefer PL, the world of EF is too full of interesting glass to ignore... Yes, certainly a first world problem. (Almost) Every time I am about to post about how hard it is to wait for my VV, I stop myself and think what a dick move that is. FWIW, it's not really all about me, really - I can't wait to hear more reactions from RedUsers who get a taste of the VV format. For starters, it has such a powerful impact on geometry within the frame, particularly with the right combination of focal length and object distances. It also makes it viable to use wider shots even when the facial reaction has to play. Moreover, it has the perceptual property of making the viewer feel closer to the action while still encompassing the same frame as S35 would from farther back.

Cheers - #19