Thread: Apple TV 4K

Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Got mine today. Content looks great.
    saumene.com

Just got mine connected. Looks amazing. Very nice upgrade to my 2nd gen AppleTV. Have not played with 24Hz stuff yet...
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

If you want your SDR to look good, you need to manually turn off HDR otherwise they map SDR into HDR to avoid a mode switch. Current HDR displays don’t have much in the way of calibration for HDR. For those that don’t calibrate, it may also be dimmer since you are locked to 100 nit SDR instead of 200-300 nit.

Microsoft has done the same thing with Windows 10, but at least Xbox One does it correctly, except for Netflix on Xbox. They do the same thing by mapping SDR into HDR.

Apple has always inserted a progressive telecine style pattern during playback to play 24p at 60p. This is done by everyone except Blu-ray. Again, avoids a mode switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
    If you want your SDR to look good, you need to manually turn off HDR otherwise they map SDR into HDR to avoid a mode switch. Current HDR displays don’t have much in the way of calibration for HDR.
    Doh, is this buried in a menu? Ordered one but it hasn't arrived yet.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

To further squirt lemon juice in your eye, the 4K content upgrade deal that Apple cut with studios is apparently only covering 4K streaming titles. If you want to download 4K versions, you have to pay for those.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
    If you want your SDR to look good, you need to manually turn off HDR otherwise they map SDR into HDR to avoid a mode switch. Current HDR displays don’t have much in the way of calibration for HDR. For those that don’t calibrate, it may also be dimmer since you are locked to 100 nit SDR instead of 200-300 nit.
    Ugh... Turn the HDR off on the new AppleTV (select a mode without). Not sure what Apple is thinking, everything is saturated to the nines and looks cartoony. The aerial screen savers look totally CG in a bright, happy, Disney sort of way. And it’s inconsistent. Some stuff looks absolutely fantastic, some is cartoony. No calibration standards or references for studios submitting their 4K HDR media. Seeing a bit of this with 4K BluRay, but so far much more consistent.

Apple’s telecine algorithm actually works quite well, probably about the best out there. Still not as good as native 24fps, but most people will never notice.

All things considered, I think they did a great job with the new AppleTV unit. All my nit-picky complaints are issues that 99% of normal people will not even think of or have an issue with.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Anybody know of a reliable way to encode 4K HDR content that can be added to an iTunes library and played back on the 4K Apple TV via home share?
    The Right Eye Agency
    41 Union Square West, Suite 435
    New York, NY 10003

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Walker View Post
    Anybody know of a reliable way to encode 4K HDR content that can be added to an iTunes library and played back on the 4K Apple TV via home share?
    You'd need a pro-grade encoder that supports HDR10, like Scenarist ATEME Titan. Beamr could work too.
    Last edited by L. Langer; 09-30-2017 at 03:30 PM.

The Right Eye Agency
    41 Union Square West, Suite 435
    New York, NY 10003

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Assuming that you are going the UHD BluRay disc route in search of higher picture quality, why would you want a cheap player? I have the OPPO 203 and highly recommend it. One of many things I like about it; the output signal is strong enough to push UHD through HDMI cables that fail on other UHD sources (DirecTV Genie, I'm looking at you).

BTW, many HDMI cables that claim to be UHD/4K capable are, in fact, not. They aren't cheap, but I strongly recommend fiber optic HDMI cables for anything over 2 meters.

Cheers - #19
    I was looking at getting a 12' High-Speed 4K HDMI cable from Belkin. Where do you get optical ones?