Thread: Apple TV 4K

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Apple TV 4K 
    No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

Some notable things.

Supports 4K and HDR in the form of Dolby Vision and HDR10. I believe the first streaming device to do so.

Lots of new content sources incoming, including live sports and news.

Also, big focus on games.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Not sure how far this can go given the ISP monopolies in the US. Most people's internet connection is not fast enough to run a 4k movie, especially not live programming. And when the ISPs keep making their data caps worse and worse to makeup for lost profits in the failing cable system, no one will be able to afford the surcharges to download or stream these massive 4k files.

Its redicilous it took apple this many years to do a 4k Apple TV!! But I like that 4k movies have the same price as hd on there service. Did not think they would do that. Good move.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Finally!

I need more hdmi ports on my TV to connect all the VOD boxes.

Long overdue upgrade to UHD/4K for AppleTV. Happy to see the A10X chip in there.

Cheers - #19

But wasn't that HDR example that they showed a little disingenuous? There was nothing stretching the dynamic range in the picture. All they did was to increase the saturation on the "HDR" side of the picture. C'mon Apple, we know better...
    Daniel Stilling, DFF (Danish Society of Cinematographers)
    Director Of Photography
    www.danieldp.com

But how do you show HDR in a way that comes across to anyone viewing on a multitude of devices watching the keynote? Yes it was cheesy and even disingenuous of them to do it this way... Even though it’s the same way Panasonic, Sony, et al demo their HDR equipment on the show floor at NAB, IBC, etc.. First show the muted and muddy image, then show one where the colors are extremely saturated to the point of cartoony nonsense. Put them side by side for added effect.

Have to consider their target audience... There’s a reason they spent nearly 10 minutes playing with facial recognition controlling emojis.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Wold View Post
    Not sure how far this can go given the ISP monopolies in the US. Most people's internet connection is not fast enough to run a 4k movie, especially not live programming.
    We have 350Mbps down here in West LA, and UHD HDR looks fine from Netflix. Sharp as a pin, no compression artifacts that I can see, no dropped frames, beautiful pictures. So it can theoretically work.

I'm going to make a point to lay my money down on a new Apple TV 4K device the moment it's available for pre-prder on Friday.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer