Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Press Release...

Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    I'm just glad you didn't say "Tom's Hardware".

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian I View Post
    @Eric Lange

[Eric writes [[All excellent and really interesting points I can dig into via other means but I'm going to go ...]]]

<snip>

The LEIA on Android vs iOS question is a trickier one. iOS is obviously quite a closed system and also Apple are not particularly into early adoption, which LEIA would obviously be at this stage. From the press announcement where it sounds like RED are taking a stake in LEIA, that's a smart move, as ultimately if it proves successful, I'm sure Apple will want to get onboard and licence the tech from RED/LEIA, at which point they'd probably build it into iOS and potentially subsidise the development of equivalent apps for their ecosystem. Personally I'm not entirely sure what to make of the LEIA stuff, it sounds awesome alright, but the main reason I'm buying a Hydrogen is because I want a better camera in my mobile phone. If the built in camera tops DXO mobile, that's a big win for me. If modularity also allows for Canon fit lenses at some stage, that's an even bigger win for me and given some of Jim's comments, it sounds like the modular aspects may make the SLR market redundant.

<snip>
    &
    <snip>
    :-)

"From the press announcement where it sounds like RED are taking a stake in LEIA, that's a smart move"... [/B]
    personally, I think that's a really massive point here :-)

It's very difficult to go from smaller niche product to something that's very large scale. Typically you need a "Stepping stone" in between. So it's possible (with investment from Jim Jannard) that they can bridge that gap but it also means that (maybe, total guess), that Jannard has substantial control* over who can or cannot license the technology?

"I'm sure Apple will want to get onboard and licence the tech from RED/LEIA, at which point they'd probably build it into iOS and potentially subsidise the development of equivalent apps for their ecosystem". [/B]
    This ^^^^ really interests me.

1. It may be that Jannard has the controlling hand deal-wise* with LEIA to essentially block* Apple from being able to run with the DLB/LEIA tech. [At least for a substantial period of time until HYDROGEN is well established* in the market place].

2. I really don't believe that Apple is a 3d company. So much of their history and culture is based around beautiful 2d design, not least of which typographically (from Jobs). Their design rationale is so strong set to in effect eliminate the third dimension... Ever thinner devices (the Z-dimension will eventually disappear all together ;-) ). So personally I don't think Apple will jump on a bandwagon that seriously involves the third dimension until they are the last one's to do so. Almost when it becomes painfully obvious that they should. [I enjoy being spectacularly wrong in some instances, and with today's Apple/I-phone announcement if they say they go DLB/3d then I guess I have to eat yet another hat (I don't think they will, but they may have a few 3d render/face recognition type gizmos, but not a full on 3d display).].

"If modularity also allows for Canon fit lenses at some stage, that's an even bigger win for me and given some of Jim's comments, it sounds like the modular aspects may make the SLR market redundant.".[/B]
    Yup. They will have the interchangeable lens mounts. But in any case HYDROGEN may drive a few more nails into the coffin of DSLR's. It's rather odd or unexpected that social media + smart phones killed most of the DSLR market and now HYDROGEN may take a bite out of both markets and create new ones... But strangely that breathes new life into MF (Medium Format, all be it, on a much smaller scale), such as Fujifilm GFX 50s ?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________

* Caveat/disclaimer PURE SPECULATION.

I think ultimately basic human laziness and vanity (and the need to look good) will make HYDROGEN a screaming success. ;-) Duck face selfies are soooooo much better in 3d than 2d.
    Scarlet-X00750 "Reggie" and Scarlet-X00683 "Larry"

Quote Originally Posted by L. Langer View Post
    I'm just glad you didn't say "Tom's Hardware".
    Every site had its purpose and day... :)

Getting back on topic, what I think is most exciting about Jim and his team at Red is what it represents in entrepreneurship and community. You have a billionaire who instead of just buying supercars and yachts, had a vision of taking his love of photography to the next step. But while you have those one-off handmade lenses from Leica and Zeiss (http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2012/08...risingly-leica), Jim's creations are instead shared with the world with an ethos of smart business and profit yet community with continually evolving platforms.

The success of the cinema line has made it possible for Red to develop a smartphone, likely engineered for Jim's own use but also made to be manufacturable at a profit and shared with the public. Just as people said that Apple would have trouble making a phone given their lack of experience, I have seen similar articles about Red. However, with each release of new information, it gets more and more exciting to see that Hydrogen is developing into something more and more incredible.

O.K. we can breath now lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Lange View Post
    1. It may be that Jannard has the controlling hand deal-wise* with LEIA to essentially block* Apple from being able to run with the DLB/LEIA tech. [At least for a substantial period of time until HYDROGEN is well established* in the market place].
    I was hoping for that to be true! And I think that's what Jim meant in the Press release about an "exclusive partnership with Leia".

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Lange View Post
    I think ultimately basic human laziness and vanity (and the need to look good) will make HYDROGEN a screaming success. ;-) Duck face selfies are soooooo much better in 3d than 2d.
    Hahahaha, nearly choked on that one!

Now, after Apple's announcement today, I am even more thankful to Jim for what he set off to do with Hydrogen.

Does anyone else feel that the Red-Leia press release has some semblance to the early days of RED when Jim was trying to get a good deal for the LCD for the RED One?
    The nutjob formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE Camera #1333 Epic-X # 1003 |||